migrating aspx forms app to mobile forms

Jeremy Chapman

I've got a small application using asxp forms controls like gridview, label
etc. It is formated to display on a 320x240 display so it looks fine on a
pocket pc. I recently discovered issues with long hidden fields used by the
viewstate and the eventvalidation. Currently I changed the viewstate to
store in the session, and turned of the eventvalidation to avoid the long
hidden fields. Will my solution cause other issues? I'm also concidering
moving to mobile forms, but I don't see any gridview equilavents. It
doesn't seem you can even do some of the rudamentary html tags like
div,span, etc. Is it possibly to do this stuff with mobile forms or should
I stick with the standard aspx forms and just put viewstate in the session?

Christoph Richter [AT]

Hi,

we also evaluated using mobile forms, but they have some missing
features that we want to use. (the badest thing is, that the with is
fixed by one control)

now, we have all complete .net2.0 support with masterpages, themes and
all controls from asp. and our engine draw this also in wml, xhtml,
multipart and pml. but it was a really long way.

if you only need xhtml, its much easier.
the first thing, you should think about is how much handsets you need
to support.

the most problems are only on 1-10 handsets. but in most times really
popular one. (razr, nokia 6310,...)

there are:
problems with the "$" Seperator (some handsets dow't allow them in
postback names, and stop there) , e.g. 6310
http://www.code4ward.net/cs2/blogs/...OdysseeOfChangingTheIdSeperatorInAspNet2.aspx

problems with ssl and bigger pages. they stop loading, presenting the
user timeouts, e.g. samsung z500 (all samsung umts phones currently)

what you should do, is changing the xhtml doctype to its mobile type
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
since the most mobiles have some simple transform so they can view all
pages. but your pages are done for mobiles, so say that to them.

also its better to use the more complex xhtml tags like the lists (li,
lu,...) instead of the tables and control them per style. thats most
times easier for the handsets and it looks better.

its not easy, to satisfy all handsets, but its makeable.
if you have furter questions, just ask.

cheers,
christoph

I've got a small application using asxp forms controls like gridview, label
etc. It is formated to display on a 320x240 display so it looks fine on a
pocket pc. I recently discovered issues with long hidden fields used by the
viewstate and the eventvalidation. Currently I changed the viewstate to
store in the session, and turned of the eventvalidation to avoid the long
hidden fields. Will my solution cause other issues? I'm also concidering
moving to mobile forms, but I don't see any gridview equilavents. It
doesn't seem you can even do some of the rudamentary html tags like
div,span, etc. Is it possibly to do this stuff with mobile forms or should
I stick with the standard aspx forms and just put viewstate in the session?

Cheers,
Christoph

Vienna/Austria

www.code4ward.net/blogs/cmn