    doesn't seem you can even do some of the rudamentary html tags like
    div,span, etc. Is it possibly to do this stuff with mobile forms or should
    I stick with the standard aspx forms and just put viewstate in the session?

    Jeremy Chapman, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Hi,

    we also evaluated using mobile forms, but they have some missing
    features that we want to use. (the badest thing is, that the with is
    fixed by one control)

    now, we have all complete .net2.0 support with masterpages, themes and
    all controls from asp. and our engine draw this also in wml, xhtml,
    multipart and pml. but it was a really long way.

    if you only need xhtml, its much easier.
    the first thing, you should think about is how much handsets you need
    to support.

    the most problems are only on 1-10 handsets. but in most times really
    popular one. (razr, nokia 6310,...)

    there are:
    problems with the "$" Seperator (some handsets dow't allow them in
    postback names, and stop there) , e.g. 6310
    http://www.code4ward.net/cs2/blogs/...OdysseeOfChangingTheIdSeperatorInAspNet2.aspx

    problems with ssl and bigger pages. they stop loading, presenting the
    user timeouts, e.g. samsung z500 (all samsung umts phones currently)

    what you should do, is changing the xhtml doctype to its mobile type
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
    since the most mobiles have some simple transform so they can view all
    pages. but your pages are done for mobiles, so say that to them.

    also its better to use the more complex xhtml tags like the lists (li,
    lu,...) instead of the tables and control them per style. thats most
    times easier for the handsets and it looks better.

    its not easy, to satisfy all handsets, but its makeable.
    if you have furter questions, just ask.

    cheers,
    christoph

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:26:23 -0700, "Jeremy Chapman"
    <> wrote:

    >I've got a small application using asxp forms controls like gridview, label
    >etc. It is formated to display on a 320x240 display so it looks fine on a
    >pocket pc. I recently discovered issues with long hidden fields used by the
    >viewstate and the eventvalidation. Currently I changed the viewstate to
    >store in the session, and turned of the eventvalidation to avoid the long
    >hidden fields. Will my solution cause other issues? I'm also concidering
    >moving to mobile forms, but I don't see any gridview equilavents. It
    >doesn't seem you can even do some of the rudamentary html tags like
    >div,span, etc. Is it possibly to do this stuff with mobile forms or should
    >I stick with the standard aspx forms and just put viewstate in the session?

    Cheers,
    Christoph

    Vienna/Austria

    www.code4ward.net/blogs/cmn