Migration Documents: Beta 2 to ASP.NET 2.0 Shipping Bits

Juan T. Llibre

The complete document Clinton points to is available at :

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...6d3cd6ad7c1/Breaking Changes Beta2 to RTM.doc

clintonG said:
Thanks Bruce. I also just found this "Visual Studio and .NET 2.0 Breaking Changes from
Beta 2 to RTM" [1] which is quite extensive.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss?thread_id=37383

Bruce Barker said:

clintonG

Thanks Juan, all other searchs launched the file directly from the search
result.

It was your advice Juan that sent me looking for this and other up-to-date
documentation.

That said, I'm still trying to resolve my broken Beta 2 application that
used Membership. If you would recall you confirmed Membership changed after
Beta 2 and is different in 2.0 RTM but I have yet to find any documents that
explain how. Furthermore, I'm stalled in 'wait a minute' mode because you
suggested reapplying the aspnetsql scripts on my SQLServer 2000 database to
reinstall Membership. If Membership has changed after Beta 2 how could
running the 'old' sql scripts resolve this issue?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

clintonG said:
Thanks Bruce. I also just found this "Visual Studio and .NET 2.0 Breaking
Changes from Beta 2 to RTM" [1] which is quite extensive.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss?thread_id=37383

Bruce Barker said:
see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/dnaspp/html/conversionissuesasp_net.asp

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

message Membership is broken and who knows what else. Does anybody have any
referrals to current documents that explain what was changed and how
one might respond?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

Juan T. Llibre

re:
you suggested reapplying the aspnetsql scripts on my SQLServer 2000 database to
reinstall Membership

Actually, I suggested :

"recompile the app in RTM/Release and create a
new Membership database with aspnet_regsql.exe."

You need to recompile the app because the schema for the ASP.NET
Personalization database changed between Beta 2 and RTM,
and running aspnet_regsql will run the *modified* sql scripts
which address the schema changes for the membership db.

re:
I have yet to find any documents that explain how

See that same document, page 31 :

The section titled : ASP.NET Personalization Database Schema

Description
The ASP.NET personalization database schema has changed since
the Beta 2 release. Any data stored while running an ASP.NET Web
application using the Beta 2 release will fail to load in the RTM release.

Modification Needed
If you use SQL Server, use the following command from the command prompt:

aspnet_regsql –A all –D aspnetdb –E –S <sqlserver name>

If you use Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition, follow these steps:

1. Attach the database.
2. Run Aspnet_regsql.exe.
3. Detach the database.

clintonG said:
Thanks Bruce. I also just found this "Visual Studio and .NET 2.0 Breaking Changes from
Beta 2 to RTM" [1] which is quite extensive.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

[1] http://www.theserverside.net/news/thread.tss?thread_id=37383

see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/dnaspp/html/conversionissuesasp_net.asp

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Membership is broken and who knows what else. Does anybody have any referrals to
current documents that explain what was changed and how one might respond?

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

clintonG

Thanks Juan, I went over the document closely this time and ran
aspnet_regsql and my application is becoming more stable. At least it loads
now.

Note the document has an error. The -D flag is not supported. No big deal
but note it should be -d.

On retrospect, other than using Enterprise Manager I have no real need to
continue using SQL2000 and should just learn SQL2005 and now regret not
starting when it was in beta.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

re:

Juan T. Llibre said:
The complete document Clinton points to is available at :

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...6d3cd6ad7c1/Breaking Changes Beta2 to RTM.doc

message Thanks Bruce. I also just found this "Visual Studio and .NET 2.0
[...]

Good catch! Thanks...

re:
On retrospect, other than using Enterprise Manager I have no real need to continue using
SQL2000 and should just learn SQL2005 and now regret not starting when it was in beta.

I'm getting to the same reasoning, too, with a slight difference.

I have resisted using SQL 2005 because I'm quite happy with SQL 2000,
and I was caught totally unaware by breaks like the SDK's Quickstart
*requiring* SSE. I've also got a 1.1 app which I, absolutely, don't want
to move over to 2.0 ( it's got thousands an thousands of lines and works fine ).

I'l be setting up SQL 2005 in a second box
and play with it and ASP.NET 2.0 there.

My main server will keep on working with
ASP.NET 1.1 and ASP.NET 2.0 + SQL 2000 for a while.

But, the wheels of progress can't stop...so SQL 2005 is in my futire.

clintonG said:
Thanks Juan, I went over the document closely this time and ran aspnet_regsql and my
application is becoming more stable. At least it loads now.

Note the document has an error. The -D flag is not supported. No big deal but note it
should be -d.

On retrospect, other than using Enterprise Manager I have no real need to continue using
SQL2000 and should just learn SQL2005 and now regret not starting when it was in beta.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

re:

clintonG said:
[...]

Its been some time and I forget the distinction -- and the advantage -- of
having the SDK installed as opposed to that which is installed when
installing VS2005 Pro?

After installing VS2005 Pro my apps are FUBAR. To make a long story short do
you have any idea where to find the .manifest files installed by SQL2005?

SQL Server 2005 Setup Fails. I've followed all the instructions but keep
getting this message:

* If SQL Server Setup fails, Setup will roll back the installation but may
not remove all .manifest files. The workaround is to rename the files and
then rerun Setup. For more information, see How to: Work Around COM+ Check
Failure in SQL Server Setup.

I've used web search and have posted to newsgroups. I'm out of options and
can't find the .mainfest files that I'm supposed to rename. Do you know by
any chance?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

re:

clintonG said:
Thanks Juan, I went over the document closely this time and ran
aspnet_regsql and my application is becoming more stable. At least it
loads now.

Note the document has an error. The -D flag is not supported. No big deal
but note it should be -d.

On retrospect, other than using Enterprise Manager I have no real need to
continue using SQL2000 and should just learn SQL2005 and now regret not
starting when it was in beta.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
[...]

message Thanks Juan, all other searchs launched the file directly from the