migration from ASP to ASPX deployment question

z. f.

Hi,

I have a deployment question for a migration from ASP to ASP.NET.
the application is an e-commerce web-site that have loadbalancing of 4 web
servers running (today) windows2000 with IIS5 and will run windows2003
server in the future.

3 developers working on the web app, and today when needs to change
something copying the relevant asp page from dev env to production.

when we migrate to asp.net, the development environment of a development
server, like in ASP might cause problems: when changing a page by one
developer, the app might not compile to reflect changes made by other
developer.
so we can work locally each developer, is this the only way?
should I separate the application to several DLLs for deployment reasons?

any information learned from experience of working on live e-commerce web
application in dot-net will help.

TIA,
z.

Patrice

1) Working on a local copy is actually is the recommended (and likely the
best) way. It uses a check out, check in model so that each developer
doesn't interfere with others. You'll find more at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp.

2) Not live e-commerce but an Intranet application that is made of several
distinct modules. As each module can be at a different step in the dev cycle
we have a central location to which each file is copied at the time of the
check in. A command file can then build a DLL for each module (can't do that
AFAIK using VS.NET) allowing to easily install on the production server only
the updated module while leaving other modules at the current revision.

Next releases of VS.NET/ASP.NET should offer some improvments regarding
compilation.

Patrice