Mika

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
.. I have never ridden a BMW except very briefly a 900S in about 1976
and it was something to die for then...

I understand. Was it SilverSmoke or Daytona Orange?

I had a 1974 R90S, serial number ..000058. <g>
I still have a 1977 R100RS, number ..000040.

Dylan Parry

Ed said:
U$240 for a 10" teddy bear?!!! Jaysus! And why would one fill a teddy
bear with steel shot?

Sounds about right for a hand-made teddy, tbh. The steel shot is used to
weight down the paws and the bottom so that a teddy will sit up properly
and so that its arms hang by its sides. I think steel shot is more often
used in collectible bears, whereas other teddies would have polythene
"beans" instead due to them costing a lot less.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Ed Mullen

http://shop.vermontteddybear.com/getpersonal.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Dylan Parry

Ed said:

There's a hell of a difference between a hand-made teddy that has been
produced in a limited run by a single individual, and a mass-produced
personalised bear. The same way that if you went to a furniture store
and bought a chest of drawers, you'd get them at a fraction of the price
that you would if you had a carpenter hand-make them.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

Ben C

There's a hell of a difference between a hand-made teddy that has been
produced in a limited run by a single individual, and a mass-produced
personalised bear. The same way that if you went to a furniture store
and bought a chest of drawers, you'd get them at a fraction of the price
that you would if you had a carpenter hand-make them.

Yes but who wants a $240 teddy bear? For that kind of money you could
buy a real bear.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:21:08
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
But the upkeep would be significantly more.

And you wouldn't get the steel shot.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
I understand. Was it SilverSmoke or Daytona Orange?
The former. The thing that stunned me was the smoothness and
sheer acceleration. Before that, my Triumph would be very much
quicker and nippier than the cruising BMWs I knew about, the
Trophy frame was a beautiful handler. But This 900S blew away all
my preconceptions. I was starting to get the message of a new era
when all the Jap bikes were coming into Australia (I sort of
regret never having one of those magnificent Honda 750s...)
I had a 1974 R90S, serial number ..000058. <g>
I still have a 1977 R100RS, number ..000040.

You are one lucky dog then. Perhaps I should not have seen
raising a family as a time to give bikes up. To think, I could
have died *gloriously* on a bend through the magnificent winding
roads through the forests down near Eden on the south coast of
NSW when a timber truck comes around from the opposite direction
leaving almost no room... <g>

dorayme

Ben C said:
Yes but who wants a $240 teddy bear? For that kind of money you could
buy a real bear.

Do you realise how much real bears cost to feed? I have seen
grown men jump off tall buildings unable to face the financial
strain...

John Hosking

dorayme said:
Do you realise how much real bears cost to feed? I have seen
grown men jump off tall buildings unable to face the financial
strain...

Well, it's *expensive* keeping a bear in a tall building.

Ed Mullen

Dylan said:
There's a hell of a difference between a hand-made teddy that has been
produced in a limited run by a single individual, and a mass-produced
personalised bear. The same way that if you went to a furniture store
and bought a chest of drawers, you'd get them at a fraction of the price
that you would if you had a carpenter hand-make them.

I know, but, geez, it's a frickin' Teddy Bear! I can afford a $250 bear
but one reason I can is that I have bought $70 bears instead. And they
are very nice bears!

Hey, look, I buy BMWs and Infinitis too when I could buy Buicks or
Chevys. I guess bears aren't as important to me as cars. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Bone said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:21:08
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

And you wouldn't get the steel shot.

You would when "Gentle Ben" turns on you. I know I'd fill him full of
shot when he started gnawing on my Teak dining room set. Oh! Wait! I
just answered my question about the steel shot filled bear! :)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
I know, but, geez, it's a frickin' Teddy Bear!

Ed, can you please not take this matter about teddy bears so
lightly? It is a serious matter.

asdf

Ed Mullen said:
<abashed> I'm very sorry! </abashed>

You're right. Bears, especially Teddy Bears, are a grave matter. I
remember my own ... uh ... ok, no need to recount that!

--

I have had mine all my life (except for a 10 year loan to my sister's kids),
and now my son has him :)

(awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

This IS serious stuff ;)

Ed Mullen

asdf said:
I have had mine all my life (except for a 10 year loan to my sister's kids),
and now my son has him :)

(awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

This IS serious stuff ;)

Sigh. Ok, I wasn't going to go there but ...

I'm 57. When I was a kid my older sister (+6 years) handed me down
"Teddy." He was the perfect bear. Used. Comfy. Classic! And
probably would have been recalled by the current Consumer Product Safety
Commission. Still, as a 4 or 5 year old, I just loved that bear. And
he didn't have steel balls. Actually, he didn't have any balls at all.
Hmm. Maybe HE was a SHE? Ah! Perhaps that's why I'm so tolerant of
non-traditionally-gendered folks?

Gee, I wonder what ever happened to Teddy. I'll have to ask my sister.
Perhaps she gave him to one of her kids. OH NO! I sure hope she did
and that he didn't wind up in some landfill!!! EGAD!!!

My heart!!! But, wait. I think ... yes! Time for another Jim Beam!
And if Teddy bit the dust, well, all good bears come to an end. Or, uh,
all good ends come to be bared. Or, uh, ... never mind!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 01 Dec 2007 19:59:10 GMT
dorayme scribed:
The former. The thing that stunned me was the smoothness and
sheer acceleration. Before that, my Triumph would be very much
quicker and nippier than the cruising BMWs I knew about, the
Trophy frame was a beautiful handler. But This 900S blew away all
my preconceptions. I was starting to get the message of a new era
when all the Jap bikes were coming into Australia (I sort of
regret never having one of those magnificent Honda 750s...)

Hehe, I had a 750-4 for appx. 3 years sometime in the later '70s. Finally
sold it because a)I wasn't in a particularly warm climate at the time, and
b)I figured I was due to kill myself soon, -very soon.
You are one lucky dog then. Perhaps I should not have seen
raising a family as a time to give bikes up. To think, I could
have died *gloriously* on a bend through the magnificent winding
roads through the forests down near Eden on the south coast of
NSW when a timber truck comes around from the opposite direction
leaving almost no room... <g>

Some of the Hondas were nice, but a BMW was _the_ bike. I drove my
friend's a couple of times - dunno what model - and it was a dream.

Bone Ur

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 03:14:06 GMT
Ed Mullen scribed:
You would when "Gentle Ben" turns on you. I know I'd fill him full of
shot when he started gnawing on my Teak dining room set. Oh! Wait! I
just answered my question about the steel shot filled bear! :)

Uh, dunno how effective a shotgun would be on a bear until it was too late.
Anyway, as for the cutesy, cuddly effegies, $240 indeed! $4.95 is my max,
and that's only if I can't find anything for $2.95 (or less). I might
spend a bit more on a Blinky replica but it would have to serve as a pin
cushion as well as an example of lower life.