Milenko Kindl and America's Worst French Fries

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Milenko Kindl, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. Milenko Kindl

    In spite of the name, French fries are practically an American
    birthright. They’re offered as the first choice side dish with nearly
    every fast-food and sit-down chain meal available. But here’s the
    catch: In a recent study of 7,318 New York City patrons leaving fast
    food chains during the lunch hour, researchers learned that combo meals
    —meaning meals with sides—averaged 1,100 calories each, which is over
    half a day’s allotment. It goes to show: When your regular meals at
    these restaurants are already pushing the nutritional envelope, adding
    an extra 300 (or more!) empty calories can make for a dietary
    disaster.

    The authors of the best-selling weight-loss series Eat This, Not That!
    and Cook This, Not That! have rounded up three of the worst orders of
    fries available at chain restaurants across the country. We’ve also
    offered up the surprising winner of the fast food French fry cook-off—
    you’ll never believe which restaurant chain produces the healthiest
    fried spuds!

    Worst Curly Fries
    Arby’s Curly Fries (Large)
    640 calories
    34 g fat (5 g saturated, 0 g trans)
    1,460 mg sodium

    Arby’s is famous for its curly fries—too bad they’re overloaded with
    fat, calories and sodium. When one side dish accounts for nearly three-
    quarters of your daily allotment of salt, you know there’s a problem.
    As fun as these curli-Qs are, stick to the Homefry variety at Arby’s—
    downsizing to a small Curly Fries will still leave you with a 410-
    calorie side, which is more than many of Arby’s sandwiches!

    Bonus tip: For full nutrition information for all of your favorite
    chain restaurants and thousands of foods, download the bestselling Eat
    This, Not That! iPhone app. It’s like having your own personal
    nutritionist in your pocket at all times, and will help you avoid the
    caloric calamities and guide you to the best ways to lose your belly
    fast.

    Eat This Instead!
    Homestyle Fries (Small)
    350 calories
    15 g fat (2 g saturated)
    720 mg sodium

    Worst Wedge Fries
    Jack in the Box Bacon Cheddar Wedges
    715 calories
    45 g fat (13 g saturated, 1 g trans)
    905 mg sodium

    It doesn’t take a nutritionist to identify the hazards of a grease-
    soaked, cheese-slathered sack of deep-fried potatoes, but by
    appearance alone, nobody could guess what’s really at stake when you
    order this side from Jack’s. The American Heart Association recommends
    that people cap their trans fat intake at 1 percent of total calories.
    For people on a 2,000-calorie diet, that’s about 2 grams per day. See
    the problem? Another issue, of course, is the overload in calories—
    about one-third your daily allotment!

    Bonus tip: Cheese fries are clearly an unhealthy choice. But sometimes
    healthy-seeming options are just as dangerous as the obvious diet-
    sinkers. For 30 jaw-dropping examples, check out The 30 Worst
    Sandwiches in America.

    Eat This Instead!
    Grilled Chicken Strips (4) with Fire Roasted Salsa
    185 calories
    2 g fat (0.5 g saturated)
    805 mg sodium

    Worst Fries for Your Blood Pressure
    Dairy Queen Chili Cheese Fries
    1,240 calories
    71 g fat (28 g saturated, 0.5 g trans)
    2,550 milligrams sodium

    This one’s a no-brainer: Chili, cheese, fried potatoes. But even a
    savvy eater couldn’t possibly anticipate how bad these 3 ingredients
    could be when combined by one heavy-handed fast-food company. There’s
    as much sodium in this side dish as you’ll find in 15 strips of bacon.
    Stick with classic ketchup and recapture nearly a day’s worth of
    sodium and 930 calories.

    Bonus tip: Save calories, time, and money with our free Eat This, Not
    That! newsletter. Sign up today and you’ll get the Eat This, Not That!
    guide to shopping once and eating for a week for free!

    Eat This Instead!
    French Fries (regular)
    310 calories
    13 g fat (2 g saturated)
    640 mg sodium

    Worst Regular Order of Fries
    Five Guys Fries (large)
    1,464 calories
    71 g fat (14 g saturated)
    213 mg sodium

    Unfortunately, Five Guys doesn’t offer anything but fries in the side
    department. Your safest bet, of course, is to skip the fries
    altogether (you’d be better off adding a second patty to your burger),
    but if you can’t bring yourself to eat a burger sans fries, then split
    a regular order. That will still add 310 calories to your meal, but it
    beats surrendering more than 75% of your day’s calories to a greasy
    paper bag.

    Bonus tip: Sides account for a third of our combo-meal calories—but
    drinks account for a quarter of the total calories we consume each
    day! Battle the liquid bulge: Avoid all drinks on this shocking list
    of The Worst Drinks in the Supermarket.

    Eat This Instead!
    Regular Fries (1/2 serving)
    310 calories
    15 g fat (3 g saturated)
    45 mg sodium

    Worst Fries in America
    Chili’s Texas Cheese Fries w/Jalapeno Ranch
    1,920 calories
    147 g fat (63 g saturated)
    3,580 mg sodium

    The only thing that comes close to redeeming this cheesy mound of lard
    and grease is the fact that it’s ostensibly meant to be shared with a
    few friends. Even so, you’ll collectively be taking in an entire day’s
    worth of calories, three days’ allotment of saturated fat, and a day
    and a half’s allotment of sodium. What’s even scarier, if you can
    imagine, is that even if you try to order more sensibly and ask for
    the “half” order of Texas Cheese Fries, you’ll still receive a
    disastrous dish that packs in 1,400 calories. There’s one French fries
    side dish at Chili’s that’s acceptable, although even in its much-
    reduced form, you’d be better off splitting it.

    Bonus Tip: See what other Chili’s items made our list of The 20 Worst
    Restaurant Foods in America.

    Eat This Instead!
    Homestyle Fries
    380 calories
    23 g fat (4 g saturated)
    230 mg sodium

    Best Fast Food Fries in America
    McDonald’s Small French Fries
    230 calories
    11 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
    160 mg sodium

    Out of the big three fast food joints (Mickey D’s, Wendy’s, and BK),
    you’ll find the least caloric, least salty fries underneath the golden
    arches. The key to ordering a smart side dish is portion sizing—and
    McDonald’s has that under control.

    ------------

    Follow Men's Health and Women's Health editor Dave Zinczenko on
    Twitter. You'll get the best life-changing health, nutrition and
    exercise secrets every day.

    Check out the cutting-edge guide to fast and easy weight loss, the
    brand-new Big Book of Exercises.

    Feeling lousy? Find the right medicine to ease the cold and flu

    Get more nutrition, health, and fitness secrets from Men's Health:
    Subscribe today with this special offer and save 50% off the cover
    price.
    Milenko Kindl, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Milenko Kindl

    Rhino Guest

    "Milenko Kindl" <> wrote in message
    Milenko Kindl

    In spite of the name, French fries are practically an American
    birthright.

    <snip>

    And how is ANY of your post relevant to Java programmers or any of the other
    programming language newsgroups you've sent it to? Yes, I know that
    programmers eat, just like anyone else, and we occasionally eat french
    fries, but if I wanted to know what you're telling us, I'd go to a newsgroup
    or website that talks about NUTRITION, not a programming newsgroup.

    Please, use your brain to put this information where people WANT to see it.
    --
    Rhino
    Rhino, Feb 23, 2010

  3. Milenko Kindl

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:04:38 -0800 (PST), Milenko Kindl
    said :

    >In spite of the name, French fries are practically an American
    >birthright.

    The most delicious are in Belgium at a stand that has been selling
    them for over a century. I don't know about the health, but the
    Belgians are hand down the masters at creating things delicious.

    The Dutch insist on the highest quality food even at street vendor
    stands.

    We North Americans think we invented fast food. The Europeans have
    perfected it.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
    ~ Douglas Adams (born: 1952-03-11 died: 2001-05-11 at age: 49)
    Roedy Green, Feb 25, 2010
  4. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:04:38 -0800 (PST), Milenko Kindl
    > said :
    >
    >> In spite of the name, French fries are practically an American
    >> birthright.

    > The most delicious are in Belgium at a stand that has been selling
    > them for over a century.

    Have they changed their oil at all?
    Mike Schilling, Feb 26, 2010