MIME attachments, and alternatives

bill ramsay

Hello

I am writing a program that sends simple text files to a remote
device.

the files have to be in the format textX.dat where X = numbers in the
range 0 up to 10 depending upon the situation. these files are stored
in a directory called attachments.

The files themselves are single line affairs in ascii.

the files have to be sent in base64.

the final email has a simple subject line, to and from addresses,
and the attachments.

so far so good, I have written the program to do this, don't laugh
here it comes.

the print statements are just there so that i can follow whats going
on at the moment.

import os
import smtplib
import mimetypes

from email import Encoders
from email.MIMEMultipart import MIMEMultipart
from email.MIMEText import MIMEText

def send_dat_files(subject_matter,serial,fromAddr,toAddr):

base = os.getcwd()
print base
attachpath = base+'\\attachments'

if not os.path.exists(attachpath):
os.mkdir(attachpath)

# Create the enclosing (outer) message

if subject_matter == 'SU':
subjectstring = 'KKK_KRDS1_'+serial+'_SU'

outer = MIMEMultipart()
outer['Subject'] = subjectstring
outer['To'] = toAddr
outer['From'] = fromAddr

outer.add_header('Content-Description','Remote Management System')

outer.epilogue = ''

fileNames=[f for f in os.listdir(attachpath)]
for fileName in fileNames:
path = attachpath+'\\'+fileName
f=open(path,"rb")
bodytext = f.read()
f.close()
ctype, encoding = mimetypes.guess_type(path)
maintype, subtype = ctype.split('/', 1)
if maintype == 'text':
msg = MIMEText(bodytext)

else:
print 'we got a problem here'
break

Encoders.encode_base64(msg)
# Set the filename parameter
filestart,extension = fileName.split('.',1)
fileName = filestart+'.dat'
msg.add_header('Content-Disposition', 'attachment',
filename=fileName)
outer.attach(msg)

# Now send the message

s = smtplib.SMTP('smtp.paradise.net.nz')
print 'connecting'

s.sendmail(fromAddr, toAddr, outer.as_string())
print 'sent email'
s.quit()

sender = email@address
copieraddr = email@address

send_dat_files('SU', '65AN88888',sender,copieraddr)

_____________________________________

questions are:

1. you may note that i have to change the file extension to .dat,
this is a requirement of the receiving device, when i do that to the
file attachment directly, the encoding does not work. any idea why?

2. the attachment files will be generated by anothe bit of code that
i am writing, it strikes me as being a bit clunky to wirte these to an
extenal folder then copy then in to the above, is there anywhay that
i can take a string, then pretend that it is a file and attach it to
the email?

sorry if this is a bit long.

look forward to hearing from anyone

kind regards

bill ramsay.

David Fisher

bill ramsay said:
[...]

Easy one,
ctype, encoding = mimetypes.guess_type(path)
is guessing the mime type from the filename
change the filename and ...

2. the attachment files will be generated by anothe bit of code that
i am writing, it strikes me as being a bit clunky to wirte these to an
extenal folder then copy then in to the above, is there anywhay that
i can take a string, then pretend that it is a file and attach it to
the email?

well, i'm not sure what the problem is. You get 'bodytext' from file(path).read()
So you could just not read a file and insert anything you want into 'bodytext'
Is this a trick question? :)