MIME for embedded realplayer in Internet Exploiter

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alex Banks, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Alex Banks

    Alex Banks Guest

    Greetings gang,

    I've streamed video before using Realplayer and Internet Explorer
    (http://www.cheemu.com/malta.html). Here, I use <param name="src"
    value="/mydir/myvideo.ram"> in the object tag, and IE is clever enough to
    work out that the ram extension means use Realplayer. Everything works fine.

    Now I am building a site where I need to store the video file in a database
    (for a content management system). To get the video from the database I use
    a script that collects it and then generates a http response. <param
    name="src" value="/mydir/myscript.pl?videonumber=19">. There is no helpful
    ..ram (or .rm, .rv etc) extension this time for IE to work out the file type
    because I use a script. So I try using a variety of MIME types in the header
    of the response generated from my script to help it to work out the file
    type:

    ---

    SA687d6sHds97929etc...
    ---

    I've tried all the following MIME type - the first one just plays the audio
    for the clip, but the others stop and try and download an update from
    realnetworks because they don't recognise the format.

    audio/vnd.rn-realaudio
    video/vnd.rn-realvideo
    application/vnd.rn-realmedia
    audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin

    I know the basic format of "use param tag to call script, get media from
    database, generate response" should work, because I've done it for streaming
    flash files -
    http://www.cheemu.com/cgi-bin/sound.pl?key=1&action=form&soundkey=2 (please
    excuse the awful jingle...).

    Has anyone had experience of this problem, or can someone suggest a few
    different MIME types to try?

    Muchos gracias,

    Alex
    ---------------------------
    http://www.alexbanks.com
    http://alextate.alexite.com

    Alex Banks, Jul 1, 2003

  2. Alex Banks

    Headless Guest

    "Alex Banks" <> wrote:

    >I've streamed video before using Realplayer and Internet Explorer
    >(http://www.cheemu.com/malta.html). Here, I use <param name="src"
    >value="/mydir/myvideo.ram"> in the object tag, and IE is clever enough to
    >work out that the ram extension means use Realplayer. Everything works fine.

    >Has anyone had experience of this problem, or can someone suggest a few
    >different MIME types to try?

    RM Mime type : audio/x-realaudio
    RAM Mime type: audio/x-pn-realaudio

    Headless