    (file.xls) even if excel has not been installed on the computer yet? Or
    does it get reported as application/octet-stream or whatever.

    Thanks

    Ken Williams, Apr 17, 2006

  2. Ken Williams

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Ken Williams <>
    vouchsafed:

    > I have a web page with a file upload form.
    >
    > Does IE still report "application/vnd.ms-excel" for excel files
    > (file.xls) even if excel has not been installed on the computer yet? Or
    > does it get reported as application/octet-stream or whatever.

    By default - I don't know, but you can easily change it in "folder
    options".

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.

    Neredbojias, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Ken Williams

    Jim Higson Guest

    Ken Williams wrote:

    > I have a web page with a file upload form.
    >
    > Does IE still report "application/vnd.ms-excel" for excel files
    > (file.xls) even if excel has not been installed on the computer yet? Or
    > does it get reported as application/octet-stream or whatever.

    You probably shouldn't trust the MIME type the server sends for security
    reasons anyway. The mimemagic module in Apache can be used to get the type
    by looking at the contents of the file.

    Jim Higson, Apr 17, 2006