Mime Types/Favicons

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    > Guy Macon:

    > Alas, image/x-icon does not conform to the IANA Mime-Type standards.
    > The "x-" Mime-Types are for files that have no assigned Mime-Type,
    > and .ico has been assigned image/vnd.microsoft.icon.

    |Neredbojias:

    |Yes, as I discovered in my researching. Most Google references still
    |proffer the "image/x-icon" though. Interestingly too,
    |"text/javascript" should really be "application/javascript" as in:

    |<script type="application/javascript">

    |...which I didn't know, either.

    Get a load of this! I uploaded 2 pages to my site identical in
    everything except that one had:

    <script type="application/javascript">

    ....and the other:

    <script type="text/javascript">

    ....for the javascript sections.

    Well guess what. Ie7 fails to read the javascript in the "application"
    version! I _really_ hope they fix that in ie8...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 10, 2008

  2. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 10 Dec 2008, Guy Macon <http://www.GuyMacon.com/> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>Get a load of this! I uploaded 2 pages to my site identical in
    >>everything except that one had:
    >>
    >><script type="application/javascript">
    >>
    >>...and the other:
    >>
    >><script type="text/javascript">
    >>
    >>...for the javascript sections.
    >>
    >>Well guess what. Ie7 fails to read the javascript in the "application"
    >>version! I _really_ hope they fix that in ie8...

    > What a pile of crap Microsoft products are!

    Yes...

    > Find any problems with image/vnd.microsoft.icon instead of
    > image/x-icon? Witt Microsoft only accepting .ico files for
    > favicons, I need to pick one or the other.

    No. Seems to work fine in the 4 biggie browsers (ff, opera, safari, ie7)
    I've tested. 'Course so did x-icon.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/