MIME Types in .Net (urgent)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Awah Teh, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Awah Teh

    Awah Teh Guest

    Is there a good resource, or could somebody please guide me on MIME-type
    interaction in .Net? What I want to do, is build an application that could
    open files of a certain type (for argument sake say a file type of .xyz).
    When the user double clicks on a file with that extension, windows will load
    my application since the mime type of my application is related to .xyz
    files.

    That part is done, the catch here is, if I already have an instance of my
    application running, I want the already open instance of my application to
    handle the call made by the user double clicking on the ".xyz" file - rather
    than pop-up another instance of my application which it seems to doing now.

    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks In Advance

    --
    Awah Teh
    DigicentriQ Technologies, LLC

    www.digicentriq.com
    877 675 4742
    805 732 9421
    Awah Teh, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Hi Awah,

    That's a misleading title you've got there. Yours is how to have only one
    instance of my application running issue. Nothing to do with MIME.

    However. :)

    Here's a link to an MSDN article to give you some ideas. It'll be split
    onto two lines so join them up in Notepad or something.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwinforms/ht
    ml/reaworapps1.asp

    There was also the same question just a few days ago in the
    dotnet.languages.vb group. Topic - How to: Maximize window from the Main
    function?, dated 15th Sep 2003, where there is a class given which does the
    job of transferring from a secondary instance of a program to the first. It
    doesn't (yet) have any communication between them, though. You could, perhaps,
    use the Registry to store the parameters and the Activate event to retrieve
    them.

    Regards,
    Fergus
    Fergus Cooney, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Herfried K. Wagner [MVP], Sep 18, 2003
  4. Awah Teh

    K. Shier Guest

    K. Shier, Sep 24, 2003