Mimicing an interrupt

Edward

{Deep breath prior to demonstrating before entire Usenet the depth of
my personal ignorance}

Hi there!

I'm writing this dinky little system in ASP.NET, which sits on a SQL
Server database.

The system's default page shows a datagrid containing a bunch of tasks
that are being assigned IN REAL TIME to Field Personnel. This
assignment operation is being performed by another application
entirely. Obviously, when the Page is loaded, the system gets a list
of appropriate tasks from the database.

It is beyond probable that the staff in the Control Room staring at
this datagrid will, occasionally, be staring at obsolete data, with
tasks being added, amended and, occasionally, deleted at any time.

It would be quite fantastically useful if I could inform the Control
Room staff of important changes: for example, that the Task with an ID
of 1234 currently assigned to Joe Blow has been cancelled.

But the browser is disconnected. Stateless. Do I have to refresh the
page using some sort of timer? Better still, can I direct a pop-up to
a user's machine? How?

The real crunch will come when I have to display the same sort of
real-time data on the Field Personnel's hand-held device (currently
likely to be a Nokia 6600).

Help. Please.

Edward

Lucas Tam

(e-mail address removed) (Edward) wrote in
But the browser is disconnected. Stateless. Do I have to refresh the
page using some sort of timer? Better still, can I direct a pop-up to
a user's machine? How?

Sorry, can't do that.

Best thing to do is refresh automatically every x seconds (annoying) or do
validation checks after each submission.

Or, switch to a different technology such as Macromedia Flash, Winforms in
IE, Java Applet, etc.

Karl

ASP.Net 2.0 support client-callback. It's possible to do similar things in
1.x using Microsoft XMLHTTP ActiveX object, but I have no familiarity with
this. I thought maybe atleast giving you the names might give you something
to go on...

Karl