Min. memory requirements (OC4j installed on Linux Red Hat)

parcha

Hi,
I am running our product on OC4j installed on Linux Red Hat 3.

I start OC4j with the following args
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M -Xms512M -Xmx512M

Our product requires 512MB to run smoothly.

We are doing our Stress Tests of our product on oc4j on a Linux Box
having 512MB memory and about the same Swap space memory.
After running our product for around 5 hours, oc4j crashes.

We had repeated the same Stress tests on another Linux box having 1GB
of memory and 1.2GB of swap space memory. oc4j doesnt crash and product
is fine even after 10 hours.
During the stress test I see MEmory used starts at around 495MB and
goes to around 497MB.(still below 512MB). So no memory leak.

So, should we increase the min. system requirement to 1GB then?
Is there anything else I need to take care?

Thanks.

HArold

I start OC4j with the following args
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M -Xms512M -Xmx512M

Our product requires 512MB to run smoothly.

We are doing our Stress Tests of our product on oc4j on a Linux Box
having 512MB memory and about the same Swap space memory.
After running our product for around 5 hours, oc4j crashes.
What Error/Exception do You have when it's crashes !?

You should observe how GC works in this two cases. How many time
percentage it spends cleaning memory ?
If You use Sun's Java JVM, add "-Xloggc:gc.log" as a java parameter. It
will generate file with all garbage collections that occurs. It can be
analyzed with HPJTune application. It's free to use. You can download it
from http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/java2/hpjtune/downloads/.

Best Regards,
HArold

Malte

Hi,
I am running our product on OC4j installed on Linux Red Hat 3.

I start OC4j with the following args
-XX:MaxPermSize=128M -Xms512M -Xmx512M

Our product requires 512MB to run smoothly.

We are doing our Stress Tests of our product on oc4j on a Linux Box
having 512MB memory and about the same Swap space memory.
After running our product for around 5 hours, oc4j crashes.

We had repeated the same Stress tests on another Linux box having 1GB
of memory and 1.2GB of swap space memory. oc4j doesnt crash and product
is fine even after 10 hours.
During the stress test I see MEmory used starts at around 495MB and
goes to around 497MB.(still below 512MB). So no memory leak.

So, should we increase the min. system requirement to 1GB then?
Is there anything else I need to take care?

Thanks.

OC4J can kick off an awful number of threads, depending on your
application of course. Only thing I have succeeded with, apart from
searching for leaks, is to dedicate a machine and its RAM to my application.