min-width max-width again

Paul Furman

OK I did these tests and got dissapointed but really it's pretty close.
The best option is:

http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width3.htm

where I use

max-width:30em;
min-width: 20em;

for css compliant browsers and

width:expression( ...

for IE

The remaining challenge is that I want to center the block with some
sections left adjusted content:

div.constrained_center {
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
text-align: center;

div.constrained_left {
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
text-align: left;

Again IE won't read this and pushes everything to the left margin. How
does this render in Opera or others? Am I going to keep other features
inside this flexible centered area? Some experiments had div's flying
off to the left while others stayed centered.

rf

Paul Furman said:
OK I did these tests and got dissapointed but really it's pretty close.
The best option is:

http://www.edgehill.net/html/css/max-min-width3.htm

IMHO your time would be far better spent developing some content rather that
trying to dictate to your viewer how wide their text should be.

With a default font size setting your text is only about 600 pixles wide.
What if I want to read it at 800 pixels wide, or even 1600 pixels wide? [1]
This is, after all, my browser. I will set it's width to what I am
comfortable with.

I would also re-think that background. It sucks the text right into it :)

[1] The window I am typing this post into is about 1100 pixels wide by about
1000 high. I can see all of the post without scrolling. Your maximum width
is one day going to cause me to have a window 1100 pixels wide by 1000 hit
but still have a vertical scroll bar because *you* think *I* need my text
column 600 pixles wide. and have a huge amount of unused heathland to the
right.

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

Paul said:
OK I did these tests and got dissapointed but really it's pretty close.
The best option is:

Quit messing around with the cotton pickin flamin fonts!

Why is it everybody wants to take over total control of MY space?
You go to all that fancy trouble for what?
So people like me who know how, can tell their browser to ignore your stupid
font thingy.
Have you ever considered that fonts are there for a general purpose? And if
used wisely, can be of benefit?

Not only do you want to screw me with MY fonts, but you also want to take
over and tell me how big my screen is gonna be.

I'm no expert by a long shot, but as a surfer, and most importantly,
potential customer, what you do to my browser settings is gonna turn me off
and away in a flash.

KISS it!

Keep it simple STUPID!

e n | c k m a

n</div>

You can use a h1 element there and define it in css as 120%.
Looks more clever and probably is.

You've also got the semi-colon in the wrong spot (making the code invalid) -
it's also unnecessary.

David Mackenzie

n</div>

You can use a h1 element there and define it in css as 120%.
Looks more clever and probably is.

He could also use the letter-spacing property to space out his
letters, rather than spaces. A Google search for "paul furman" or
"slope design" wouldn't find his site at present.

Paul Furman

OK OK I know some of my coding is a mess and some of you have
philosophical differences about this approach but nobody has answered my
question. This is just a test page to illustrate my question about
centering.

I'm working on some PHP programming so I can apply whatever I come up
with and standardize it with one template:
<http://hills.ccsf.edu/~pfurma02/index.php?SCREEN=ecards.php&IMG_DIR=photos>
I've got oodles of content here:
http://www.edgehill.net
http://www.edgehill.net/sitemap.htm
http://www.edgehill.net/picture-index.htm
http://www.edgehill.net/garden/other
http://www.edgehill.net/species.htm

I like the background and I can show it off better with some space on
the edges. I might make the fonts bigger to be more readable or put the
text in an opaque container with the background at the edges. It's my
web page, I want to take people into my world. The presentation is very
important with design work, I'm not just a librarian. Many of my pages
have large pictures that will require a maximized window so the text
will look preposterous on those pages and people would get exhausted
resizing their window to make it comfortable. I've come up with a setup
here that does allow the page to be squished down without a horizontal
scroll bar so I think this is a pretty good compromise to work on
developing further.

Paul Furman

David said:
He could also use the letter-spacing property to space out his
letters, rather than spaces. A Google search for "paul furman" or
"slope design" wouldn't find his site at present.

OK thanks for the suggestions and I'll look into those but the page does
show up in google with those key words:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=slope+design+paul+furman>
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=slope+design+native+plants>

Oops, that's because I didn't use spaces on those pages <g>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Paul Furman:
Hmm, actually I did use spaces and google still figured it out. Anyways
the spacing thing does sound smarter.

Each of these: &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
requires a semicolon after it.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;