MINDPROD site applet error - Error loading class: java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment

Roedy Green

Maybe the solution is a band of Java evangelists to convince libraries to
install Java. We could hand out coffee cups.

The other way is to figure out how to offer alternate renderings.

Much of my site is mechanically generated with macros so it is mostly
a matter of thinking up how it should work, then turning the macros
loose to generate the website.

I could take the VIEW buttons out from between the <APPLET </APPLET>
then you could at least jump to view the snippets as raw java source
if your browser can handle it. Usually browsers make a mess, ignoring
\n or not knowing what to do with the mime type.

I could generate HTML inline, so it would work much as before, just
more accurately rendered, and easier to maintain the snippets since
they would be html-free.

That still does not allow you to copy paste nicely, but that is not so
bad if you have a beautifier to clean up the mess.

Andrew Thompson

I could generate HTML inline, so it would work much as before, just
more accurately rendered, and easier to maintain the snippets since
they would be html-free.

That still does not allow you to copy paste nicely,

Why not dump it into the <textarea> of a <form>,
or provide an 'all else fails' link to same.

(Yes it is *very* ugly, but besides the 'formatted',
and 'plain' versions I make, I am considering
offering such a link as well, simply to cover
*all* bases.. )

Andrew Thompson

I could generate HTML inline, ...

As I was reading this I wondered if you
were referring to an iframe, that is when
it occurred to me that this convo. would
best be pursued on an HTML group..

Java programmers do too much 'overthinking'
of web-sites, but a few posts on the HTML
groups usually knocks the fogginess out.. ;-)

Roedy Green

As I was reading this I wondered if you
were referring to an iframe

I have includes in my macro language and also in SSI, so an Iframe
does not buy me much other than disk space on the server. It is not
widely supported and is not strictly kosher HTML 4.0.

I was wondering how you were thinking it might be used.

One drastic solution would be to mirror every page with the *.htm
instead of html. It would be a vanilla version of the page, with for
example currcon applets removed and replaced with US prices, listings
expanded inline with HTML, and all internal links on the page
converted to *.htm where there is such a page available.

That would almost double the size of the website and the upload
traffic. I would not want to push my luck with my host.

I am getting lots of email from people panicking the listings have
disappeared. It is amazing how many Java programmers don't have a
working Java in their browser, not even an old one. I did JDisplay
WITHOUT swing.

Andrew Thompson

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 06:24:26 GMT, Andrew Thompson
I was wondering how you were thinking it might be used.

Oh no.. I was misunderstanding you.

If you want a 'fixed size' (small screen
acreage), scrollable place to put code
so it is easy for your visitors to copy,
why not use a <textarea>?

Roedy Green

If you want a 'fixed size' (small screen
acreage), scrollable place to put code
so it is easy for your visitors to copy,
why not use a <textarea>?

HTML TextAreas contain only plain text. The whole point of this
exercise was to prove my point that clever use of fonts and colour can
make code more meaningful and readable.

In Java, I do revert to a plain TextArea when it comes time for
cut/paste.

Neill

Roedy Green said:
HTML TextAreas contain only plain text. The whole point of this
exercise was to prove my point that clever use of fonts and colour can
make code more meaningful and readable.

In Java, I do revert to a plain TextArea when it comes time for
cut/paste.

Just didn't want to leave you with the last word on this topic. You didn't
respond to my suggestion to list the system requiements for viewing your
pages somewhere on the page.

Roedy Green

Just didn't want to leave you with the last word on this topic. You didn't
respond to my suggestion to list the system requiements for viewing your
pages somewhere on the page.

It applies to almost every page. I have it explicitly on some pages,
e.g. http://mindprod.com/jgloss/converter.html

However, it takes up a lot of space.

Maybe a link to describe the requirements.

Roedy Green

What I did over the weekend it smarten up the macro code snippet
generator so that in generates prettified HTML inline for small
snippets and uses the JDisplay Applet for big ones. This gets rid of
most of the Applet invocations.

Further when an Applet fails, there is plenty of real estate available
to explain the problem.

Neill

Roedy Green said:
What I did over the weekend it smarten up the macro code snippet
generator so that in generates prettified HTML inline for small
snippets and uses the JDisplay Applet for big ones. This gets rid of
most of the Applet invocations.

Further when an Applet fails, there is plenty of real estate available
to explain the problem.

I see you're going to get the last word, anyway ;) Your solution sounds
good, it just threw me a little when the applets didn't load, and I try to
follow a general rule of thumb that any feedback is good feedback. You're
right, of course, any Java developer should have known what the problem was
immediately.

As long as we're having this conversation, I'm working on a shopping cart
application and need to crunch some currency numbers. This has been
discussed on mailing lists I monitor, and it seems the recommended way is to
create a currency class. Any pointers, examples, suggestions? TIA