Minimal Shopping Cart

Guadala Harry

I'm looking to implement some *minimal* shopping cart. I've looked at a few
3rd party packages, and they're all way too involved for what I need. So,
I'm thinking it might make sense to roll my own. Before diving in though,
I'd like to have any recommendations or suggestions from any of you who have
done or seen "bare bones" shopping carts/store fronts. I'd like to integrate
it with an existing SQL Server database that holds the customer, order, and
product info.

Thanks.

Kevin Spencer

Hi GuadalaHary,

Here's your basic Simple Shopping Cart Engine:

You have pages where users can select products. When a user selects a
product, information about the product is added to a Collection or Array in
the user's Session. If the Session times out, the user has to start over.
When the user is finished shopping, the user goes to a payment page where
the user first reviews all of the items in the cart, can add or remove
items, quantities, etc., and when satisfied, can check out. The user is then
directed to a SSL page where payment is made. Taking payment online is
another whole can of worms, and you have plenty of options, none of which
are easy. Pick a vendor, and learn how to use their system. Once payment is
made, the Cart is wiped from the user's Session, and they can continue
shopping, or go elsewhere.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Guest

Go to www.asp.net and look at the source projects. There is an ECommerce
starter. You can also look at the IBuySpy store, which is a precursor to
other projects. The source is free.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA