Minimum install for JRE 1.4.2_03

paul brown

Hi,

I'm writing an Installer in Java which may need to update the underlying JRE
up to 1.4.2, so that the
installed software can run properly

My question is, what is the minimum set of files i can copy over to get a
JRE installed?

Also, i'm assuming i can just do a file copy and don't need to run an
installer. Is that assumption
valid?

Thanks,
Paul

Tony Morris

You will be violating the JRE distribution licence.
Look into install applications such as InstallAnywhere and InstallShield
Multi-Platform.

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer

paul brown

Hi

in that case, have you tried the silent install option for the JRE?

i'm trying this (according to the Sun site) but it does NOTHING :

j2re-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p.exe /S /v "/qn INSTALLDIR=c:\temp\jre
REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"

(tried with lower/upper case 'S' as there seems to be confusion over this
....)

thanks
paul

Thomas Weidenfeller

paul said:
I'm writing an Installer in Java

Writing installers seems to be a nice Java finger exercise. I also have
one lying around in some closet. Never came around to polish and publish it.
which may need to update the underlying JRE
up to 1.4.2, so that the
installed software can run properly

My question is, what is the minimum set of files i can copy over to get a
JRE installed?

This is limited by the JRE license, not by technology. AFAIR you are
allowed to leave out a few files, but otherwise you are required to
deliver a complete JRE, as defined by Sun. IANAL, so check Sun's license.
Also, i'm assuming i can just do a file copy and don't need to run an
installer. Is that assumption
valid?

I assume you are talking about the Windows JRE (there are other
platforms out there, you know? :). I didn't check lately, but JREs can
run without installation, even from a CD-ROM. However, the installer
adds registry entries for file types and sets up other things, too. You
are maybe best adviced to use the JRE as delivered by Sun.

/Thomas

Chris Smith

Tony said:
You will be violating the JRE distribution licence.
Look into install applications such as InstallAnywhere and InstallShield
Multi-Platform.

Can you clarify that comment? I see nothing in the JRE license
agreement that requires the install kit to run when redistributing the
software. In fact, the document in the JRE itself that discusses what
files can be removed when redistributing seems to conflict with this; if
the original install kit had to be run, then NO files could be removed.

The license does require that customers to whom you redistribute will
agree to the JRE licensing terms, but that could easily be satisfies by
presenting those terms in a separate installation package.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris Smith

paul said:
in that case, have you tried the silent install option for the JRE?

i'm trying this (according to the Sun site) but it does NOTHING :

j2re-1_4_2_03-windows-i586-p.exe /S /v "/qn INSTALLDIR=c:\temp\jre
REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"

(tried with lower/upper case 'S' as there seems to be confusion over this
...)

Paul,

I have tried this silent installation option, and I don't recommend it
for install kits. After a host of problems, we finally ran into the one
we couldn't solve; if you run the silent install kit while the Java VM
is running, the install kit will "silently" reboot the system, meaning
there's no confirmation of any kind before the reboot.

Though I'm not a lawyer, I see no justification behind Tony Morris's
statement that you can't legally just copy the JRE into place. In fact,
if you read the README.TXT file inside of the JRE, you will find an
exact description of which files you legally must include, and which are
considered optional and may be left out if your application doesn't
require them. Note that you must redistribute a stand-alone JRE; the
jre/ subdirectory of the Java SDK installation is a little different,
and there is more of a question about redistribution.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Steve W. Jackson

:
:Can you clarify that comment? I see nothing in the JRE license
:agreement that requires the install kit to run when redistributing the
:software. In fact, the document in the JRE itself that discusses what
:files can be removed when redistributing seems to conflict with this; if
:the original install kit had to be run, then NO files could be removed.
:
:The license does require that customers to whom you redistribute will
:agree to the JRE licensing terms, but that could easily be satisfies by
:presenting those terms in a separate installation package.

This is consistent with how InstallAnywhere works, too. You can
download "VM Packs" from them, which are really just compressed files
containing a "jre" directory for the designated platform. That's an
ideal solution for my application, since the installer itself can use
that same JRE to run its Java code, and then my installed application
can use the installed copy as a "private" JRE that's not known (to the
Windows registry, or any equivalent location on other supported
platforms).

= Steve =

Tony Morris

My apologies, the licence appears to have changed since I last read it.

From Sun 1.4.2_03

B. License to Distribute Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of
this Agreement, including, but not limited to the Java Technology
Restrictions of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to
reproduce and distribute the Software, provided that (i) you distribute
the Software complete and unmodified (unless otherwise specified in the
applicable README file) and only bundled as part of, and for the sole
purpose of running, your Programs, (ii) the Programs add significant
and primary functionality to the Software, (iii) you do not distribute
additional software intended to replace any component(s) of the
Software (unless otherwise specified in the applicable README file),
(iv) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices
contained in the Software, (v) you only distribute the Software subject
to a license agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with
the terms contained in this Agreement, and (vi) you agree to defend and
indemnify Sun and its licensors from and against any damages, costs,
liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys'
fees) incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any
third party that arises or results from the use or distribution of any
and all Programs and/or Software.

--
Tony Morris
Software Engineer