Minimum Permissions Required to Run ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by corey.burnett@gmail.com, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a web server running IIS 6. The network security team here has
    completely locked down the server. They have installed an application
    called Cisco Security Agent (CSA). What CSA does is deny or allow
    access to certain files and folders. Currently they have it set up
    very restrictively so that it denies access to lots of files and
    folders. I find that when I go to run any type of ASP.NET application
    I receive error messages that say that the Network Service user can not
    access a certain folder. So I contact the network security team and
    tell them to give Network Service rights to that folder. Then I try my
    application again. This time I get a message about a different folder.
    So we go through the process again and they give the Network Service
    user access to that folder - and so on. What I am looking for is
    something like this:

    For ASP.NET to function properly you must set the following folder and
    file permissions:
    C:\Windows\inetsrv Network Service Full
    rights
    C:\Windows\Microsoft\Framework Network Service Read
    etc...

    And so on...

    Basically I am looking for a list of folders, files and users with
    their corresponding rights that must be in place for ASP.NET to
    function properly. This is an ASP.NET v1.1 application running on IIS
    6. I am assuming that this makes a difference because I believe that
    IIS 6 has different requirements than IIS 5. Can anyone help point me
    to a list of folder permissions that are necessary just to run ASP.NET
    on IIS 6?

    Thanks,
    Corey

    , Nov 14, 2006