minitest documentation anywhere?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom Cloyd, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Well nuts. Trying to get minimally up to speed with some extremely
    modest testing and I cannot even get off the ground.

    I'm going for now with minitest. I found a modest and useful intro. in
    PickAxe 3rd. But...minitest's RDoc is extremely minimal, and essentially
    useless to me, and there no CLI that I seem to wake up, no results from
    "minitest -h". So...

    when I read at
    http://github.com/Narnach/minitest/blob/2736f339dc241fc8acef9f502ec598ce234539ab/README.rdoc
    that -

    "Minitest has the following command line options:

    profile: Force rspec output format to ‘profile’, combined with coloured
    output and unified diffs.
    drb: Use a spec server to execute specs, speeding up their execution."

    Really. Where's he getting THAT from? Secret knowledge? I have no idea.

    And WHAT command line ... I cannot seem to get one.

    Google give me nothing useful, which seems odd.

    Is there any path up this mountain, or do I simply have to scale a cliff?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    t.

    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website)

    Tom Cloyd, Feb 28, 2009

  2. 28 Feb 2009 kl. 09:37 skrev Tom Cloyd:

    > when I read at =

    http://github.com/Narnach/minitest/blob/2736f339dc241fc8acef9f502ec598ce23=
    4539ab/README.rdoc=20
    > that -
    >
    > "Minitest has the following command line options:
    >
    > profile: Force rspec output format to =91profile=92, combined =

    with =20
    > coloured output and unified diffs.
    > drb: Use a spec server to execute specs, speeding up their =20
    > execution."
    >

    > Really. Where's he getting THAT from? Secret knowledge? I have no =20
    > idea.
    >
    > And WHAT command line ... I cannot seem to get one.
    > Google give me nothing useful, which seems odd.

    There seem to be two different and unrelated MiniTests; the Narnach-=20
    minitest one is not the same as zenspider's minitest.

    There is a MiniTest cheat sheet at =
    <http://cheat.errtheblog.com/s/minitest/1=20
    >. It may not be complete but it could be quite useful anyway.

    There is no command-line interface for MiniTest, but running tests =20
    with MiniTest is fairly easy and can be automated. Require all test =20
    files, call `MiniTest::Unit.autorun` and the tests will be executed =20
    automagically.

    Hope this helps!

    Regards,

    Denis

    --=20
    Denis Defreyne

    Denis Defreyne, Feb 28, 2009

  3. Tom Cloyd

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Feb 28, 2009, at 00:37 , Tom Cloyd wrote:

    > I'm going for now with minitest. I found a modest and useful intro.
    > in PickAxe 3rd. But...minitest's RDoc is extremely minimal, and
    > essentially useless to me,
    > and there no CLI that I seem to wake up, no results from "minitest -
    > h". So...

    If there is no CLI, why would "minitest -h" do anything but error with
    "command not found"?

    > when I read at http://github.com/Narnach/minitest/blob/2736f339dc241fc8acef9f502ec598ce234539ab/README.rdoc
    > that -

    github? googling "minitest ruby" (w/o quotes) doesn't show Narnach
    until page 4. I have no idea what that project is at all. Further, the
    first mention of github is on page 3 (which is at least a clone of my
    work), so I'm not sure why you're even looking there in the first place.

    > And WHAT command line ... I cannot seem to get one.
    > Google give me nothing useful, which seems odd.

    That is because there isn't one, if you don't count `ruby` as a
    command line (interface). The nice thing about vanilla code is that
    you don't need anything but `ruby`.

    > Is there any path up this mountain, or do I simply have to scale a
    > cliff?

    cliff? The latest release is 612 lines of code (not counting tests).
    495 lines of perfectly vanilla code (ie, no magic, no metaprogramming,
    etc) for unit.rb which is the meat of the system. I don't consider
    that a cliff by any means.

    Ryan Davis, Mar 1, 2009
  4. Tom Cloyd

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Ryan Davis wrote:

    > On Feb 28, 2009, at 00:37 , Tom Cloyd wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going for now with minitest. I found a modest and useful intro.
    >> in PickAxe 3rd. But...minitest's RDoc is extremely minimal, and
    >> essentially useless to me,
    >> and there no CLI that I seem to wake up, no results from "minitest
    >> -h". So...

    > If there is no CLI, why would "minitest -h" do anything but error with
    > "command not found"?
    >
    >> when I read at
    >> http://github.com/Narnach/minitest/blob/2736f339dc241fc8acef9f502ec598ce234539ab/README.rdoc that
    >> -

    > github? googling "minitest ruby" (w/o quotes) doesn't show Narnach
    > until page 4. I have no idea what that project is at all. Further, the
    > first mention of github is on page 3 (which is at least a clone of my
    > work), so I'm not sure why you're even looking there in the first place.
    >
    >> And WHAT command line ... I cannot seem to get one.
    >> Google give me nothing useful, which seems odd.

    > That is because there isn't one, if you don't count `ruby` as a
    > command line (interface). The nice thing about vanilla code is that
    > you don't need anything but `ruby`.
    >
    >> Is there any path up this mountain, or do I simply have to scale a
    >> cliff?

    > cliff? The latest release is 612 lines of code (not counting tests).
    > 495 lines of perfectly vanilla code (ie, no magic, no metaprogramming,
    > etc) for unit.rb which is the meat of the system. I don't consider
    > that a cliff by any means.

    OK, fair enough. Please realize that I was fairly confused by the two
    minitest projects, which I mistook as one - it didn't occur to me that
    there could be two, in ruby, with Github involved. The "other one"
    appears to have a CLI, so I was trying to get to it. Quite a muddle.

    As for reading the code - sure, excellent idea. Please realize, however,
    that that isn't always a quick path for us who are "weekend-wonders"
    with Ruby. Sometimes it really IS a cliff, and all work grinds to a halt
    while we try to puzzle what's really going on. Is a fairly common
    experience for me with other's good code. My own not-so-good code isn't
    the best of influences!

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Tom Cloyd, Mar 1, 2009