minor problem with ri -c

Joel VanderWerf

The last few lines output by 'ri -c' are:

TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass, TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values,
Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError, body;, dig = {}, fatal, include,
klass

Looks like ZeroDivisionError is the last meaningful item?

Joel VanderWerf

Joel said:
The last few lines output by 'ri -c' are:

TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass, TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values,
Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError, body;, dig = {}, fatal, include,
klass

Looks like ZeroDivisionError is the last meaningful item?

Oops. I should add that this is in the latest 1.9 snapshot:

ruby 1.9.0 (2004-04-27) [i686-linux]

but it's been like this for a while.

Dave Thomas

The last few lines output by 'ri -c' are:

TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass, TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values,
Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError, body;, dig = {}, fatal, include,
klass

Hmm... this is what I get (using the latest CVS HEAD)

---------------------------------------------- Known classes and modules

Abbrev, ArgumentError, Array, Base64, Base64::Deprecated,
Benchmark, Benchmark::Job, Benchmark::Report, Benchmark::Tms,
Bignum, Binding, CGI, CGI::Cookie, CGI::Html3, CGI::Html4,
CGI::Html4Fr, CGI::Html4Tr, CGI::HtmlExtension,
CGI::QueryExtension, CGI::QueryExtension::Value, CGI::Session,
CGI::Session::FileStore, CGI::Session::MemoryStore, CGI::TagMaker,
Class, Comparable, Complex, ConditionVariable, Continuation, Data,
Date, DateTime, Dir, EOFError, Enumerable, Errno, Exception,
ExceptionForMatrix, FalseClass, File, File::Constants, File::Stat,
FileTest, FileUtils, FileUtils::DryRun, FileUtils::NoWrite,
FileUtils::Verbose, Find, Fixnum, Float, FloatDomainError, GC,
Generator, Hash, IO, IOError, Iconv, IndexError, Integer,
Interrupt, Kernel, LoadError, LocalJumpError, Logger,
Logger::Application, Logger::Error, Logger::LogDevice,
Logger::Severity, Logger::ShiftingError, MIME, Marshal, MatchData,
Math, Matrix, Matrix::Scalar, Method, Module, Mutex, NameError,
NameError::message, NilClass, NoMemoryError, NoMethodError,
NotImplementedError, Numeric, Object, ObjectSpace, Observable,
Pathname, PathnameTest, Precision, Proc, Process, Process::GID,
Process::Status, Process::Sys, Process::UID, Queue, Range,
RangeError, Regexp, RegexpError, RuntimeError, ScriptError,
SecurityError, Set, Shellwords, Signal, SignalException,
Singleton, SingletonClassMethods, SizedQueue, SortedSet,
StandardError, String, StringScanner, Struct, Symbol,
SyncEnumerator, SyntaxError, SystemCallError, SystemExit,
SystemStackError, Tempfile, Test, Thread, ThreadError,
ThreadGroup, ThreadsWait, Time, TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass,
TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values, Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError,
fatal

Is it possible that the snapshot is old?

Cheers

Dave

Joel VanderWerf

Dave said:
Hmm... this is what I get (using the latest CVS HEAD) ...
Is it possible that the snapshot is old?

The ruby executable says it is:

ruby 1.9.0 (2004-04-27) [i686-linux]

I'll remove my /usr/local/share/ri/1.9 it and see if it the junk comes
back when I reinstall 1.9...and yes it does:

# ls -lt /usr/local/share/ri/1.9/system | tail
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:12 SystemStackError/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:12 Vector/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:12 Method/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:12 SystemCallError/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:12 File/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29 Apr 29 06:11 created.rid
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:09 body;/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:09 dig = {}/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:09 include/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 29 06:09 klass/

# ri -c -T | tail -n3
TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass, TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values,
Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError, body;, dig = {}, fatal, include,
klass

Where is this stuff coming from? Interesting that it was created a few
seconds before the legitimate stuff.

Dave Thomas

Is it possible that the snapshot is old?

The ruby executable says it is:

ruby 1.9.0 (2004-04-27) [i686-linux]

I'll remove my /usr/local/share/ri/1.9 it and see if it the junk comes
back when I reinstall 1.9...and yes it does:

OK - now I'm very confused. I just blew everything away, cvs up, make,
make install, and I don't see those files.

Is if possible you have an old copy of the 'rdoc' code lying around
somewhere, so that when you run rdoc during the installation it is
using the old library. We used to see these extra classes being added,
but that was fixed a while back.

Dave

Cheers

Dave

Mark Hubbart

Dave said:
[...]

FWIW:

mark@imac% ruby -v
ruby 1.9.0 (2004-04-11) [powerpc-darwin]
mark@imac% ri -c | tail -3
TimeExtentionTest, TrueClass, TypeError, UnboundMethod, Values,
Vector, YAML, ZeroDivisionError, body;, dig = {}, fatal, include,
klass
mark@imac% grep -rn 'class << body;' .
/lib/cgi.rb:1044: (class << body; self; end).class_eval do
mark@imac% grep -rn 'dig = {}' .
/lib/set.rb:375: class << dig = {} # :nodoc:
mark@imac% grep -rn 'class' . | grep fatal | grep Exception
/error.c:973: rb_eFatal = rb_define_class("fatal",
rb_eException);
mark@imac% grep -rn 'class << klass' .
./.ext/tk.rb:3456: class << klass
/ext/tk/lib/tk.rb:3456: class << klass
/lib/singleton.rb:159: class << klass

That explains (maybe) where those are coming from. But I can't figure
out where rdoc got the idea that "include" was a class...

HTH,
--Mark

Dave Thomas

mark@imac% grep -rn 'dig = {}' .
./lib/set.rb:375: class << dig = {} # :nodoc:
mark@imac% grep -rn 'class' . | grep fatal | grep Exception
./error.c:973: rb_eFatal = rb_define_class("fatal",
rb_eException);
mark@imac% grep -rn 'class << klass' .
./.ext/tk.rb:3456: class << klass
./ext/tk/lib/tk.rb:3456: class << klass
./lib/singleton.rb:159: class << klass

That explains (maybe) where those are coming from. But I can't figure
out where rdoc got the idea that "include" was a class...

Agreed, but

a. I fixed this a while back (on February 29, as far as I can tell), and
b. I just don't see it here.

Cheers

Dave

Joel VanderWerf

Dave said:
Is it possible that the snapshot is old?

The ruby executable says it is:

ruby 1.9.0 (2004-04-27) [i686-linux]

I'll remove my /usr/local/share/ri/1.9 it and see if it the junk comes
back when I reinstall 1.9...and yes it does:

OK - now I'm very confused. I just blew everything away, cvs up, make,
make install, and I don't see those files.

Is if possible you have an old copy of the 'rdoc' code lying around
somewhere, so that when you run rdoc during the installation it is using
the old library. We used to see these extra classes being added, but
that was fixed a while back.

Probably I'm just confused. I removed /usr/local/share/ri/1.9 and did
'make install' again, and now those files are gone. Sorry for the noise...