mirroring: impossible?`

Discussion in 'HTML' started by robert, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. robert

    robert Guest

    this is the test my prof. wants from me: help me!!!!!

    Let`s say that i'm inside a lan (wireless), this Lan is made of 10 PCs.
    each pc has a dynamic IP address assigned by the DHCP of the main
    router. The Lan has an internet access, with one Static IP (the
    router).

    Let's say that the Lan, has access to a specific web site and the
    access (to this web site) is granted through the IP.

    I tried to make a complete mirror of the web site with HTTP track, but
    it keeps giving me only errors.

    Question: with my pc (one of the Lan) i wanna go on that web site and
    make a complete copy of it: how can i perform that?

    I have:
    a) unlimited access to the Lan;
    b)unlimited space on my hard

    Thanks

    robert, Jan 3, 2007

  2. robert

    Ed Mullen Guest

    robert wrote:
    > this is the test my prof. wants from me: help me!!!!!
    >
    > Let`s say that i'm inside a lan (wireless), this Lan is made of 10 PCs.
    > each pc has a dynamic IP address assigned by the DHCP of the main
    > router. The Lan has an internet access, with one Static IP (the
    > router).
    >
    > Let's say that the Lan, has access to a specific web site and the
    > access (to this web site) is granted through the IP.
    >
    > I tried to make a complete mirror of the web site with HTTP track, but
    > it keeps giving me only errors.
    >
    > Question: with my pc (one of the Lan) i wanna go on that web site and
    > make a complete copy of it: how can i perform that?
    >
    > I have:
    > a) unlimited access to the Lan;
    > b)unlimited space on my hard
    >
    > Thanks

    So, you want to download a copy of an entire site to your local hard
    drive, yes? Do you also want to regularly synchronize that copy with
    the online site? I use a program called BeyondCompare which will do
    this. It has an ftp compare function that I use to sync my local copy
    and online copy of my Web site.

    Try Google:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="http track"&btnG=Google Search
    http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=how to mirror a site&btnG=Search
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_(computing)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 3, 2007

  3. robert

    robert Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > So, you want to download a copy of an entire site to your local hard
    > drive, yes? Do you also want to regularly synchronize that copy with
    > the online site? I use a program called BeyondCompare which will do
    > this. It has an ftp compare function that I use to sync my local copy
    > and online copy of my Web site.

    well the fact are these: i'm not an expert, so i report here what i
    would like to do, and of course, any help is really appreciated.

    If i try to surf the web site from the inside of the Lan, i can go on
    any page i want.
    If i try to copy the web site through HTTP Track, it sends me to a
    subscription page, which i already have.

    When i surf from the inide of the lan, it does not ask me any kind of
    pass or userID.

    Thanks

    robert, Jan 3, 2007
  4. robert

    Ed Mullen Guest

    robert wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> So, you want to download a copy of an entire site to your local hard
    >> drive, yes? Do you also want to regularly synchronize that copy with
    >> the online site? I use a program called BeyondCompare which will do
    >> this. It has an ftp compare function that I use to sync my local copy
    >> and online copy of my Web site.
    >>

    > well the fact are these: i'm not an expert, so i report here what i
    > would like to do, and of course, any help is really appreciated.
    >
    > If i try to surf the web site from the inside of the Lan, i can go on
    > any page i want.
    > If i try to copy the web site through HTTP Track, it sends me to a
    > subscription page, which i already have.

    So, HTTP Track is a program you are using and having trouble with. You
    should contact their tech support.

    Or you might try: http://www.httrack.com/ It's a free program and
    would seem to be able to do what you want.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 3, 2007