misc mail questions OT

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jeff Thies, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Jeff Thies

    Jeff Thies Guest

    A couple mail questions:

    1) While writing links in plain text emails, I tend to enclose the link in
    angle brackets:

    <http://some_long_address.com/somepage.html>

    I've been told in at least one mail client, that clicking on the link causes
    the angle brackets to be included in the url (causing 404's).

    What's the correct way to prevent line wrapping in url's. Is it time to
    ditch the <>?

    2) How to include the subject in a mailto link? Is that:

    mailto:?subject=some_subject?

    My recollection is that is bad practice and fails in some clients. Still, I
    need to know so I can advise with a caveat.

    Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff Thies, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Jeff Thies

    Chet Guest

    "Jeff Thies" <> wrote in message
    | A couple mail questions:
    |
    | 1) While writing links in plain text emails, I tend to
    enclose the link in
    | angle brackets:
    |
    | <http://some_long_address.com/somepage.html>
    |
    | I've been told in at least one mail client, that clicking on
    the link causes
    | the angle brackets to be included in the url (causing 404's).
    |
    | What's the correct way to prevent line wrapping in url's. Is it
    time to
    | ditch the <>?
    |
    | 2) How to include the subject in a mailto link? Is that:
    |
    | mailto:?subject=some_subject?
    |
    | My recollection is that is bad practice and fails in some
    clients. Still, I
    | need to know so I can advise with a caveat.
    |
    | Cheers,
    | Jeff

    Jeff,

    I'm not sure about 1 but for 2 it should work as you had it but
    I've always found inserting %20 for any spaces in the subject
    keeps the link from breaking. Here's where I found this info

    http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2368.txt

    hth
    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)
    Chet, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Jeff Thies wrote:

    > 1) While writing links in plain text emails, I tend to enclose the link in
    > angle brackets:
    >
    > <http://some_long_address.com/somepage.html>
    >
    > I've been told in at least one mail client, that clicking on the link causes
    > the angle brackets to be included in the url (causing 404's).

    Probably the best way to do this is:

    This conforms to standards (yes, there is an RFC for including links in
    plain text!) and shouldn't cause problems in most clients.

    > 2) How to include the subject in a mailto link? Is that:
    >
    > mailto:?subject=some_subject?
    >
    > My recollection is that is bad practice and fails in some clients.
    > Still, I need to know so I can advise with a caveat.

    Why include a subject at all? Surely the person who is sending the e-mail
    has a better idea of what the e-mail is about than you do?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Jeff Thies

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:40:34 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Probably the best way to do this is:

    Strangely enough, in me newsreader, everything between < and > (i.e.
    including the URL: and the space) is underlined, but clicking the link
    opens the correct page (when it is a valid link, of course).

    Weird.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Jeff Thies

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:12:03 GMT, "Jeff Thies" <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > 2) How to include the subject in a mailto link? Is that:
    >
    > mailto:?subject=some_subject?

    Use a form. Mailto is broken.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 12, 2004