    I think I must be doing something stupid, but what, exactly?

    TIA for any help

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 26, 2004

  2. John J. Lee

    Tim Peters Guest

    [John J. Lee]
    > The subject line says it, really: I installed 2.4a2 using the MSI
    > installer on python.org, and I appear to be missing this file:
    >
    > C:\Python24\DLLs\_sre.pyd

    That file doesn't exist in 2.4; the code it used to contain has been
    folded into the core python24.dll (so _sre is builtin now, instead of
    an extension module).

    > As a result, Python picks up the _sre.pyd from my 2.3 installation,

    That shouldn't be possible, since _sre is a builtin now.

    > and I get the expected error about a bad magic number in that DLL.
    >
    > I think I must be doing something stupid, but what, exactly?

    Don't know, can't guess. Run Python 2.4 with the -v switch, then do

    import _sre

    You should see something like

    >>> import _sre

    # C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc matches C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.py
    import encodings.cp437 # precompiled from C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc
    import _sre # builtin

    If you don't see something like that, it's A Clue.

    Tim Peters, Aug 26, 2004

  3. John J. Lee

    John J. Lee Guest

    Tim Peters <> writes:

    > [John J. Lee]
    > > The subject line says it, really: I installed 2.4a2 using the MSI
    > > installer on python.org, and I appear to be missing this file:
    > >
    > > C:\Python24\DLLs\_sre.pyd

    > That file doesn't exist in 2.4; the code it used to contain has been
    > folded into the core python24.dll (so _sre is builtin now, instead of
    > an extension module).
    >
    > > As a result, Python picks up the _sre.pyd from my 2.3 installation,

    > That shouldn't be possible, since _sre is a builtin now.

    [...]

    Aha. In a puff of logic, the error has now vanished. Mysterious...

    Thankyou

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 26, 2004