Missing _sre.pyd in 2.4a2 Windows installer?

John J. Lee

The subject line says it, really: I installed 2.4a2 using the MSI
installer on python.org, and I appear to be missing this file:

C:\Python24\DLLs\_sre.pyd

As a result, Python picks up the _sre.pyd from my 2.3 installation,
and I get the expected error about a bad magic number in that DLL.

I think I must be doing something stupid, but what, exactly?

TIA for any help

John

Tim Peters

[John J. Lee]
The subject line says it, really: I installed 2.4a2 using the MSI
installer on python.org, and I appear to be missing this file:

C:\Python24\DLLs\_sre.pyd

That file doesn't exist in 2.4; the code it used to contain has been
folded into the core python24.dll (so _sre is builtin now, instead of
an extension module).
As a result, Python picks up the _sre.pyd from my 2.3 installation,

That shouldn't be possible, since _sre is a builtin now.
and I get the expected error about a bad magic number in that DLL.

I think I must be doing something stupid, but what, exactly?

Don't know, can't guess. Run Python 2.4 with the -v switch, then do

import _sre

You should see something like
# C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc matches C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.py
import encodings.cp437 # precompiled from C:\Python24\lib\encodings\cp437.pyc
import _sre # builtin
If you don't see something like that, it's A Clue.

John J. Lee

Tim Peters said:
[John J. Lee]
The subject line says it, really: I installed 2.4a2 using the MSI
installer on python.org, and I appear to be missing this file:

C:\Python24\DLLs\_sre.pyd

That file doesn't exist in 2.4; the code it used to contain has been
folded into the core python24.dll (so _sre is builtin now, instead of
an extension module).
As a result, Python picks up the _sre.pyd from my 2.3 installation,

That shouldn't be possible, since _sre is a builtin now.
[...]

Aha. In a puff of logic, the error has now vanished. Mysterious...

Thankyou

John