    Extension for ASP needed to be "Allowed". I never had to do this on the
    original (development) machine. I'm thinking I've misconfigured somehting,
    but I have no idea what or how to fix it. Help!

    Ron Hinds, Sep 28, 2008

  2. Ron Hinds

    Ron Hinds Guest

    Disregard - I found it!
    \

    Ron Hinds, Sep 28, 2008

  3. Ron Hinds

    David Wang Guest

    It appears that your machines are not configured identically.

    If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
    when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
    means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
    steps -- thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
    different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
    for which we have no information.

    For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
    "resolved" your issue?

    //David
    http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
    http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
    //

    David Wang, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Ron Hinds

    Ron Hinds Guest

    > "David Wang" <> wrote in message
    > It appears that your machines are not configured identically.
    >
    > If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
    > when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
    > means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
    > steps --

    You're right! On the original machine, I manually installed all of the
    server extras, like IIS, DNS, etc. through Add/Remove Windows Components. On
    this new machine, thinking I would save time (!), I foolishly trusted the
    "Configure your Server" "wizard", and, of course, it bit me on the behind!

    > thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
    > different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
    > for which we have no information.

    I wish I knew, but since the actions of the "wizard" are undocumented, I
    have no way of knowing. And at this point, I'm not inclined to start over
    from scratch.

    > For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
    > "resolved" your issue?

    As so often happens when you run into something unexpected, I tried various
    other steps before discovering the Web Service Extension issue. I got rid of
    some superfluous code in my global.asa but accidently wiped out the closing
    script tag - oops!

    Ron Hinds, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Ron Hinds

    David Wang Guest

    On Sep 28, 8:37 pm, "Ron Hinds" <> wrote:
    > > "David Wang" <> wrote in message
    > > It appears that your machines are not configured identically.

    > > If you had to enable Web Service Extension for ASP, that means that
    > > when IIS was installed, the ASP feature was not checked/enabled. This
    > > means that the machines are not configured through identical setup
    > > steps --

    > You're right! On the original machine, I manually installed all of the
    > server extras, like IIS, DNS, etc. through Add/Remove Windows Components.On
    > this new machine, thinking I would save time (!), I foolishly trusted the
    > "Configure your Server" "wizard", and, of course, it bit me on the behind!
    >
    > > thus, it is imperative for you to identify "what else is
    > > different" since it is completely unique to your situation/environment
    > > for which we have no information.

    > I wish I knew, but since the actions of the "wizard" are undocumented, I
    > have no way of knowing. And at this point, I'm not inclined to start over
    > from scratch.
    >
    > > For the benefit of future searches -- what did you end up doing that
    > > "resolved" your issue?

    > As so often happens when you run into something unexpected, I tried various
    > other steps before discovering the Web Service Extension issue. I got ridof
    > some superfluous code in my global.asa but accidently wiped out the closing
    > script tag - oops!

    I see. So the real issue was thaat you didn't enable ASP (but found
    out about enabling Web Service Extension for ASP to solve that issue),
    and when you did that, you found out about the other problem in code
    you inadvertently caused.

    The Wizard doesn't do anything extra that you could not do. It just
    didn't do everything you did.

    David Wang, Sep 29, 2008