Missing customError setting

Richard

Hi, I have deployed a simple asp.net application to a hosted server. I had
it working OK but I wanted to make a change and somehow it has gotten into a
state where it reports an error but acts as though the web.cfg
<customErrors mode="Off" />
tag is not found.

That is I get a web page indicating that an error has occurred but they
cannot give me details for security reasons. But the tag is there. In fact
the exact same web.cfg file is used on my local machine and I can change Off
to On and I get the same message (when I intentionally throw an exception).

It is as though the web.cfg is not found. But then at some time it will
start working again.

I think this might have started when I had an impersonate tag in the config
file but I cannot be sure.

Please help.
Richard