Missing LEADING ZERO with script....please help.

david

Hi,

I have 2 text boxes on an ASP form.
A user enters a Serial Number in TB1 such as 0105123456, presses tab to
move to TB2, TB2 then displays the value of TB1 after a calculation has
been done.

(Based on a Serial Number range).
i.e. a user enters 0105123456, TB2 then adds 'x' qty to this number
depending on how many serial numbers are required.

Code as folows:

_________________________________

<script type="text/javascript">

var squantity = <%= request.querystring("Quantity") %>;

function doCalc(x,y){
y.value = x.value==0?0:1*x.value + (squantity - 1);
}

</script>

_________________________________

On the code for TB1, I have the following:
TB2 has the name 'txtLastSerial'

onblur="doCalc(this,this.form.txtLastSerial)"

_________________________________

THE PROBLEM:

If a user enters their 10 digit serial number, the first 4 digita are
month and year, (mmyy), i.e. 0105 123 456, then TB2 displays the
correct result but WITHOUT THE LEADING ZERO ?

How can I correct my code to leave the leading zero ?
Appreciate your help

David.

Evertjan.

wrote on 04 jan 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
If a user enters their 10 digit serial number, the first 4 digita are
month and year, (mmyy), i.e. 0105 123 456, then TB2 displays the
correct result but WITHOUT THE LEADING ZERO ?

How can I correct my code to leave the leading zero ?
Appreciate your help

numbers do not have leading zeros, strings can have them.

<script type='text/javascript'>

t = '0105 123 456' // string

t = t.replace(/ /g,'') // strip spaces

t = t*1 + 1 // number, add 1

t = '' + t // string

while (t.length<10) t = '0' + t // add zeros

alert(t) // show string 0105123457

</script>

Evertjan.

David Gordon wrote on 04 jan 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
Many thanks for your reply.
I am not very proficient at JavaScript.
I sort of understand your code, but someone else wrote mine.

If the month is between January & September, the Serial Number will
always begin with a zero,
0105, 0205, 0305 etc...

All serial numbers this month will read 0105xxxxxx

The user will always type in text box 1 the correct number, it is only
when text box2 is reached that text box 2 displays the correct result
less the leading zero.

function doCalc(x,y){
y.value = (x.value==0) ? 0 : 1*x.value + (squantity - 1);
while (y.value.length<10) y.value = "0" + y.value;

Evertjan.

Evertjan. wrote on 04 jan 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
function doCalc(x,y){
y.value = (x.value==0) ? 0 : 1*x.value + (squantity - 1);
while (y.value.length<10) y.value = "0" + y.value;
}

1 x.value is a string that could be empty or text filled
2 you would not want 0000000000

function doCalc(x,y){
if(isNaN(x.value)||(x.value==0))
y.value = 0;
return;
}
y.value = 1*x.value + (squantity - 1);
while (y.value.length<10) y.value = "0" + y.value;

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>,
dated Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:58:39, seen in (e-mail address removed) posted :
THE PROBLEM:

If a user enters their 10 digit serial number, the first 4 digita are
month and year, (mmyy), i.e. 0105 123 456, then TB2 displays the
correct result but WITHOUT THE LEADING ZERO ?

How can I correct my code to leave the leading zero ?
Appreciate your help

You should have read the newsgroup FAQ.

Your serial number enters as a String; you perform arithmetic on it, so
you now have a Number. When javascript converts that to a String, it
has no reason to use a leading zero.

In your case, ISTM that you need to add at most one zero, and you will
need to add it if the Number is less than 10000 or 1000000000. You can
do that test, or test the length of the String after conversion, and
prepend "0" id required.

The general case of adding leading characters is covered in FAQ 4.6,
function Stretch.

Another approach would be to add a sufficiently large number like
10000000000, convert to String, and remove the first character.

Your system should have been designed to use not mmyy but yyyymm - such
problems then would not arise for about 7994 years.

See below.