    Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

    Thanks,
    Daniel.
    Daniel Pitts, Jul 25, 2008

  2. "Daniel Pitts" <> wrote in message
    news:488a067a$0$3154$...
    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
    > client.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.
    > --
    > Daniel Pitts' Tech Blog: <http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/>

    I think I am seeing virtually all of the Ur-Lew's posts, as evidenced by not
    seeing references to posts that never showed up.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jul 25, 2008

  3. Daniel Pitts

    Qu0ll Guest

    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
    > client.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

    Yes, I am experiencing this too. I have noticed on a number of threads that
    all I see are the fake posts and not the originals. I think you'll find
    that your ISP doesn't keep all posts and it's only through a situation like
    this that you notice it.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Jul 25, 2008
  4. Daniel Pitts

    Mark Space Guest

    Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.

    I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
    cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
    Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.
    Mark Space, Jul 25, 2008
  5. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Peter Duniho wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:59:07 -0700, Daniel Pitts
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    >> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
    >> client.
    >>
    >> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?

    > He's coming through loud and clear over here. Though, his ISP and mine
    > use the same news provider, so that's not much of a cross-check (on the
    > other hand, if you see this but not his messages, that should at least
    > rule out an issue with our news provider). :)
    >
    > Since not seeing this message would mean there may well be something up
    > with our news provider: if you don't see this message, please let me
    > know. :)

    I got your message no problem. Hmm.

    Daniel Pitts, Jul 25, 2008
  6. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    Mark Space wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    >> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
    >> client.
    >>
    >> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Daniel.

    > I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
    > cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
    > Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

    I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
    wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my ISP,
    I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.
    Daniel Pitts, Jul 25, 2008
  7. Mark Space wrote:
    > I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
    > cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages for
    > Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.

    To be precise, it's Supersedes: headers, which says "replace that
    message with this one." Most newsservers and clients ignore said header.
    It seems Supersedes (and cancel) were on their way out even in 1997.

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jul 25, 2008
  8. Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > Mark Space wrote:
    >> Daniel Pitts wrote:
    >>> I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    >>> apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news
    >>> client.
    >>>
    >>> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Daniel.

    >> I'm seeing both posts, Lew's and the odious troll. Sometimes I see
    >> cancel messages too. I think the a-hole is issuing cancel messages
    >> for Lew's posts sometimes as well, although that's a bit intermittent.
    >>

    > I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
    > wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my ISP,
    > I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.

    I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
    coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 25, 2008
  9. Daniel Pitts

    Mark Space Guest

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Daniel Pitts wrote:

    >> I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
    >> wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my
    >> ISP, I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it shouldn't.

    > I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
    > coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

    I also use Thunderbird. If a message is canceled, T-bird shows me a
    cancel notice, like "This message was canceled from within Mozilla" when
    I click on the post. Sometimes messages that I saw the day before from
    Lew get canceled later when I try to re-read a thread.

    If you never see those, you might be filtering out cancel notices
    somehow. I'm not sure if this is even possible in T-bird, I filter out
    bleachbot and such-like manually by name. I guess your ISP could be
    filtering out cancel notices.
    Mark Space, Jul 25, 2008
  10. Daniel Pitts

    Lew Guest

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
    > coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

    The real Lew will sometimes be incoherent, but rarely in such a
    surreal fashion. I also do not put conspiracy-theory rants or anti-
    Semitic garbage in my sigs, and I don't use obscene or insulting email
    addresses as my own email address, which in actuality is
    (or ). I also don't repeat my
    own posts with surreal paraphrases. I also don't post from the
    Ukraine. I also contribute original thoughts, unlike the "Ur-Lew",
    that are germane to the discussion if not always welcome.

    I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

    I am sharply disappointed that the ISPs allow these hate posts to
    propagate. I guess eventually the faker will discover that we've all
    plonked him and no one is even aware of his posts, much less listening
    to his rants, much less finding him in any way engaging or clever.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jul 25, 2008
  11. Mark Space wrote:
    > Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    >> Daniel Pitts wrote:

    >>> I thought it might have something to do with cancel messages. I'm
    >>> wondering if its a problem with my usenet provider (which is not my
    >>> ISP, I use NewsRazor), or if Thunderbird is doing something it
    >>> shouldn't.

    >> I don't think it is a Thunderbird issue, because I use it and I see both
    >> coherent and incoherent messages claiming to be from Lew.

    > I also use Thunderbird. If a message is canceled, T-bird shows me a
    > cancel notice, like "This message was canceled from within Mozilla" when
    > I click on the post. Sometimes messages that I saw the day before from
    > Lew get canceled later when I try to re-read a thread.
    >
    > If you never see those, you might be filtering out cancel notices
    > somehow. I'm not sure if this is even possible in T-bird, I filter out
    > bleachbot and such-like manually by name. I guess your ISP could be
    > filtering out cancel notices.

    I don't think I'm doing anything to filter out cancel notices.

    For both the news servers I use, news.ucsd.edu and
    news.west.earthlink.net, I can find pairs of messages, one from Lew and
    one from pseudo-Lew, with the pseudo-Lew message claiming to supersede
    the id of the Lew message. I can read both messages.

    Maybe your news server is interpreting "supersedes" as implying
    cancellation of the superseded article, and both the servers I use are
    just ignoring it?

    Patricia

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 25, 2008
  12. Daniel Pitts

    Mark Space Guest

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    > Maybe your news server is interpreting "supersedes" as implying
    > cancellation of the superseded article, and both the servers I use are
    > just ignoring it?

    This seems the most likely then. Or my news server (SBC Global in San
    Francisco) is taking the "supersedes" header literally and replacing the
    original message with the new one. I don't think I set up anything
    special in T-bird either.
    Mark Space, Jul 25, 2008
  13. Daniel Pitts

    Dave Miller Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

    How do you filter him with T-Bird?

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:
    Dave Miller, Jul 25, 2008
  14. Dave Miller wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >>
    >> I use Thunderbird and I am able to filter out the fake posts.

    > How do you filter him with T-Bird?

    From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
    Message should do the job nicely.

    BTW, the filter "Delete Message" command does not cancel the message, in
    case you thought it did (the UI, unfortunately, fails to distinguish
    between the two enough, IMHO).

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
    Joshua Cranmer, Jul 26, 2008
  15. Daniel Pitts

    Mark Space Guest

    Joshua Cranmer wrote:
    > Dave Miller wrote:

    > From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
    > Message should do the job nicely.

    This unfortunately also deletes posts where Lew posts from his "conrad"
    account.
    Mark Space, Jul 26, 2008
  16. On Jul 26, 2:59 am, Daniel Pitts
    <> wrote:
    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.

    The impostor has changed tactics recently.

    For example, this post to c.l.j.programmer..
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/
    browse_frm/thread/39489f6c778560fe>

    ..is from this thread on c.l.j.gui.
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.gui/browse_frm/
    thread/a4c838cbf01b4422>

    I have observed the same effect with Lew's posts.

    The impostor has also started to set an 'expiry date'
    on the posts, I am not sure why. Perhaps it is the
    'breaking of the voice' that E.S. was alluding to/
    hoping for.

    --
    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 26, 2008
  17. Re: [OT] Re: Missing Lew's posts but not the impostor?

    "Eric Sosman" <> wrote in message
    > Lew wrote:
    >> [...] I also contribute original thoughts, unlike the "Ur-Lew",
    >> that are germane to the discussion if not always welcome.
    >> [...]

    > Permit me a nomenclature quibble, in hopes of heading off
    > a misnomer before it becomes ingrained. The particle "Ur-"
    > signifies "original," "fundamental," "authentic," but has now
    > been used in a couple of messages to suggest "false." "Das Urlicht"
    > is not the false light, but the primeval light of God's Creation.
    > "Das Urteil" is not just any decree, but a final and authoritative
    > judgment. So let us not use "Ur-" for the faker, lest we dignify
    > him or her far beyond her or his deserving.
    >
    > --
    > Eric Sosman
    > lid

    I used it in that sense. When I referred to the Ur-Lew, I meant the
    original, that is, the individual who possesses authentic Lewness (das
    Ludwignis). I certainly did not mean the Ludovicus falsus.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jul 26, 2008
  18. On 25/07/2008 18:59, Daniel Pitts allegedly wrote:
    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.

    In the thread "String literal", I see *no* posts by the Ukrainian "Lew"
    at all (using nntp.motzarella.org). I see posts from
    "com.lewscanon@lew", however, and since people spoke of fake messages I
    thought at first that was a bogus address, but apparently it isn't.

    --
    DF.
    Daniele Futtorovic, Jul 26, 2008
  19. In article <488a067a$0$3154$>,
    Daniel Pitts <> wrote:

    > I'm seeing a lot of posts by the Fake Lew, and a couple of replies to
    > apparently the original Lew's post, but it never made it to my news client.
    >
    > Is this happening to anyone else? Is there something I should adjust?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Daniel.

    TeNeT has proven to be troll-friendly so try annoying the upstream
    Usenet peer at

    You can filter on this line:
    The real Lew uses Google Groups from work and Comcast from home. Google
    has serious spamming and security problems so it's common for their
    postings to be filtered or blacklisted.

    --
    Goolge is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 26, 2008
  20. Daniel Pitts

    Lew Guest

    Russell Space wrote:
    > Joshua Cranmer wrote:
    >> Dave Miller wrote:

    >> From contains Lew AND From doesn't contain lew@lewscanon -> Delete
    >> Message should do the job nicely.

    > This unfortunately also deletes posts where Lew posts from his "conrad"
    > account.

    Congress 'fakelew':
    "From reloads Lew AND From does-not-reside lewscanon"

    --
    Lew

    [NWO, degenerate, Skull and Bones, propaganda, brainwash, mind control,
    fanatic, deranged, idiot, lunatic, retarded, zomby, puppet]

    "This is still a dangerous world. It's a world of madmen and
    uncertainty and potential mential losses."

    --- Adolph Bush,
    At a South Carolina oyster roast, as quoted in the
    Financial Times, Jan. 14, 2000
    Lew, Jul 26, 2008