Missing or Incompatible Database Schema After Deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by beaudetious, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. beaudetious

    beaudetious Guest

    I'm working on an ASP.NET 2.0 web app which I deployed without a problem a
    week ago or so to a hosted server. I'm using SQL Server 2000 as the DB for
    both custom tables and the profile/membership/roles, etc. Last week it was
    working fine. Today I added some new files via FTP to the website and
    deleted the existing objects then exported my local database's SQL Server
    tables, views and stored procs to the hosted SQL Server. Now something is
    messed up. Now, I'm getting the following error when running one of my pages
    that hits the database via one of the Providers:

    System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: The
    'System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider' requires a database schema
    compatible with schema version '1'. However, the current database schema is
    not compatible with this version. You may need to either install a
    compatible schema with aspnet_regsql.exe (available in the framework
    installation directory), or upgrade the provider to a newer version.

    I've reran the aspnet_regsql tool so that the remote server's schema was
    updated. It still didn't work. I then deleted all of the "aspnet_" objects
    and reran the aspnet_regsql tool. Still no luck. What can I do now? I
    can't make a backup of my local database and use it for restoring on the
    hosted server because a) it costs money and b) I can't do that everytime I
    want to make changes. Maybe I shouldn't have overwrote the working tables?

    Anyhow, how can I fix this and what's the best way to deploy changes to a
    production database's objects (column name changes or updated stored procs).

    Thanks for any immediate help!

    Brian

    beaudetious, Jan 1, 2006

  2. beaudetious

    beaudetious Guest

    You won't like this answer, but it just sort of worked the next day after I
    had the problems. Now I ran the built in tools to prep the database about 5
    times so that may have some affect but not right away. Sorry that wasn't
    concrete enough of an answer for you.

    beaudetious, Jan 13, 2006