missing python-config and building python on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Damon Register, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. I am attempting to build gtk and glade using mingw/msys. It seems that some
    of the packages require python. I installed 2.7.3 using the installer from
    python.org. That worked for some of the packages but now I am trying to do
    one that needs python-config which I don't find in the installation directory.

    I tried building from source using mingw/msys but that had too many problems
    so I gave up on that. I thought I might try building with MSVC 2010 since
    it appears to be supported and I have that at work. There are a few problems
    with this:
    1. though I have looked in a few readme files, I don't see instructions for
    installing what I have just built using MSVC. Where can I find the
    instructions for installing after building with MSVC?

    2. I have searched the project directory but I don't find python-config. Is
    this some sort of optional thing that isn't built by default? I tried
    searching this list and although I find a few questions about it, I don't
    see an answer to where I can find it.

    3. It seems that MSVC doesn't produce the .a library files needed for linking
    into a mingw built program. Do I have to do that fun trick to create the
    .a from the dll?

    Damon Register
    Damon Register, Aug 1, 2012