Missing Resource Exception

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ivan Redi, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Ivan Redi

    Ivan Redi Guest

    hello,

    i've got this exception. does anybody knows how to solve this, or what is
    wrong?

    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
    connection, locale de_AT
    at
    java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:804)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:773)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:511)
    at server.ANDIServer.<init>(ANDIServer.java:54)
    at server.ANDIServer.main(ANDIServer.java:89)
    Exception in thread "main"

    the code mentioned in the exception looks like this:

    //Initialize global variables
    54:>>> String driver =
    ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("driver");
    String url = ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("url");
    String username =
    ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("username");
    String password =
    ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("password");
    tempPath = ResourceBundle.getBundle("common").getString("tmpdir");

    and

    89:>>> new ANDIServer(args);
    }

    thank you in advance
    ivan
    Ivan Redi, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Ivan Redi

    Rhino Guest

    "Ivan Redi" <ivan.redi ( at ) ortlos . com> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i've got this exception. does anybody knows how to solve this, or what is
    > wrong?
    >
    > java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
    > connection, locale de_AT
    > at

    java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle.java:8
    04)
    > at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:773)
    > at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:511)
    > at server.ANDIServer.<init>(ANDIServer.java:54)
    > at server.ANDIServer.main(ANDIServer.java:89)
    > Exception in thread "main"
    >
    > the code mentioned in the exception looks like this:
    >
    > //Initialize global variables
    > 54:>>> String driver =
    > ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("driver");
    > String url =

    ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("url");
    > String username =
    > ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("username");
    > String password =
    > ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection").getString("password");
    > tempPath = ResourceBundle.getBundle("common").getString("tmpdir");
    >
    > and

    > 89:>>> new ANDIServer(args);
    > }
    >
    > thank you in advance
    > ivan

    Ivan,

    The error message you are seeing indicates that the resource bundle you
    requested, connection_de_AT, couldn't be found at runtime. As a result, your
    getString("driver") couldn't be executed to determine the Austrian German
    version of the driver name. If this is a List ResourceBundle, that means
    that the program was looking for a file named connection_de_AT.java; if it
    was a Text or Message ResourceBundle, it was looking for a file named
    connection_de_AT.properties. I don't recall precisely where the program will
    look for these files but I assume it is the same as the classpath. Either
    your ResourceBundle doesn't exist at all or it isn't anywhere that the
    program can find it.

    I'm guessing that you are new to I18N (Internationalization). The reason I
    say that is that the normal approach in I18N programs is to get the
    ResourceBundle *once*, then do as many getString() operations as necessary
    against the ResourceBundle reference.

    If you are new to I18N, you should have a look at the Internationalization
    trail in the Java Tutorial, which you can see at
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/index.html. I used the
    information in that trail to construct my own successful I18N code.

    The "Quick Example" topic -
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/intro/quick.html - will give
    you a good overview of the process that you need to follow; the rest of the
    trail goes into the details.

    Rhino
    Rhino, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Ivan Redi

    Ivan Redi Guest

    rhino,

    i copy-pasted connection.properties to connection_de_AT.properties into
    class path, but still doesnt work. i just get a new error message: Error :
    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
    connection_de_AT, locale de_AT.
    so i am thinking something else is wrong with this: ResourceBundle myRes
    = ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection_de_AT");
    String driver = myRes.getString("driver");
    btw. i dont want internationalization. i would like to use one properties
    file for all locals.

    best
    ivan

    Ivan Redi, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Ivan Redi

    Rhino Guest

    "Ivan Redi" <ivan@'*remove*ortlos.com> wrote in message
    > rhino,
    >
    > i copy-pasted connection.properties to connection_de_AT.properties into
    > class path, but still doesnt work. i just get a new error message: Error :
    > java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
    > connection_de_AT, locale de_AT.
    > so i am thinking something else is wrong with this: ResourceBundle

    myRes
    > = ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection_de_AT");
    > String driver = myRes.getString("driver");

    You never hard-code the _de_AT in the getBundle() method. As the tutorial I
    cited shows, you pass the leading part of the file name in one argument and
    the Locale in the second part. Something like this:

    Locale myLocale = new Locale("de", "AT);
    try {
    ResourceBundle myBundle = ResourceBundle.getBundle("connection",
    myLocale);
    } catch (MissingResourceException mr_excp) {
    //error handling
    }

    Then, get the individual values you need, like this:

    String myDriver = myBundle.getString("driver");
    String myUserid = myBundle.getString("userid");

    > btw. i dont want internationalization. i would like to use one properties
    > file for all locals.

    I don't understand. That seems to be a contradiction in terms: if you have
    'locals', which presumably means an input value that differs from one Locale
    to another, you *are* doing internationalization whether you think of it
    that way or not.

    If you want all users of the program to get the same value for 'driver',
    'userid', etc. then you don't need Locales at all. In that case, you don't
    need ResourceBundles either; you should simply be able to set up a single
    properties file and access it with the Properties classes, particularly the
    getProperty() method. Alternatively, you could use the Preferences API to
    save these values to a BackingStore like the Windows Registry.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Ivan Redi

    Ivan Redi Guest

    thank you rhino,

    i now solved this by making the code like this:
    String driver =
    ResourceBundle.getBundle("com.common.connection").getString("driver");
    i dont't know why this didn't work since i had: import com.common.*;
    no reason why this worked on linux machine without problems and on windows
    was a class problem.
    but through your answers i've learnd also many new things.

    Ivan Redi, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Ivan Redi

    Rhino Guest

    Ivan,

    Changing getBundle("connection") to getBundle("com.common.connection") makes
    sense; the getBundle() method needs the full name of the package that
    contains the ResourceBundle class or properties file.

    I'm glad you solved your problem.

    Rhino

    Rhino, Feb 24, 2005