Missing rotor module

Discussion in 'Python' started by Paul Rubin, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    rony steelandt <> writes:
    > Is there a way to add this module to 2.4, or what would be the simplest
    > way to replace this.
    > The existing application makes use of the rotor module everywhere, which
    > means in a lot of modules.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas

    It's still in the 1.5 distro and later ones up to maybe 2.2. You can
    probably just drop it into 2.4 and compile it. But you should migrate
    away from it if you were using it for anything serious. Its security
    sucks.
    Paul Rubin, Jul 25, 2006

  2. I'm in the midle of porting a python 1.5 application to 2.4

    I just discovered that the rotor encryption module isn't part anymore of
    the 2.4 distribution.

    Is there a way to add this module to 2.4, or what would be the simplest
    way to replace this.
    The existing application makes use of the rotor module everywhere, which
    means in a lot of modules.

    Thanks for any ideas

    Rony
    rony steelandt, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Unfortunately rotor has been deprecated but it hasn't been replaced
    with anything reasonable as far as encryption goes -- there are just a
    bunch of hashing funtions (sha, md5) only. If you need to replace rotor
    all together I would sugest the crypto library from:

    http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html

    It has good encryption algorithms like AES, IDEA and others.

    I know it doesn't have rotor, because rotor is not a very good
    encryption algorithm -- I still don't know why it was ever included in
    Python. So refactor your code if you can to use AES for example.

    But of course if you have bunch of data encrypted with rotor that your
    program need to decrypt you can use this replacement found on
    mail.python.org:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/261304.html
    It is much slower because it was written in Python while the original
    rotor was in C, and I am not sure if it is _exactly_ the same.

    Good luck,
    Nick V.

    Nick Vatamaniuc, Jul 25, 2006
  4. Paul Rubin

    Guest

    Nick> I still don't know why it was ever included in Python.

    It was another time and place altogether than the world we live in today.
    Python was a much smaller language and had a much smaller following.
    Concerns about security were minimal (relative to today anyway).

    Skip
    , Jul 25, 2006
  5. Paul Rubin

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Nick Vatamaniuc" <> writes:
    > Unfortunately rotor has been deprecated but it hasn't been replaced
    > with anything reasonable as far as encryption goes -- there are just a
    > bunch of hashing funtions (sha, md5) only. If you need to replace rotor
    > all together I would sugest the crypto library from:
    >
    > http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html
    >
    > It has good encryption algorithms like AES, IDEA and others.

    If you want something in pure Python that's easy to use, there's also:

    http://nightsong.com/phr/crypto/p3.py

    Its security should be better than rotor and its speed is not too
    terrible. However, if you're looking to replace rotor in a production
    application you should stick with something more standard,
    i.e. AES-based.
    Paul Rubin, Jul 26, 2006
  6. Le Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:22:26 -0700, Nick Vatamaniuc a écrit :

    > Unfortunately rotor has been deprecated but it hasn't been replaced
    > with anything reasonable as far as encryption goes -- there are just a
    > bunch of hashing funtions (sha, md5) only. If you need to replace rotor
    > all together I would sugest the crypto library from:
    >
    > http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto.html
    >
    > It has good encryption algorithms like AES, IDEA and others.
    >
    > I know it doesn't have rotor, because rotor is not a very good
    > encryption algorithm -- I still don't know why it was ever included in
    > Python. So refactor your code if you can to use AES for example.
    >
    > But of course if you have bunch of data encrypted with rotor that your
    > program need to decrypt you can use this replacement found on
    > mail.python.org:
    > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/261304.html
    > It is much slower because it was written in Python while the original
    > rotor was in C, and I am not sure if it is _exactly_ the same.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Nick V.
    >

    > rony steelandt wrote:
    >> I'm in the midle of porting a python 1.5 application to 2.4
    >>
    >> I just discovered that the rotor encryption module isn't part anymore of
    >> the 2.4 distribution.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to add this module to 2.4, or what would be the simplest
    >> way to replace this.
    >> The existing application makes use of the rotor module everywhere, which
    >> means in a lot of modules.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any ideas
    >>
    >> Rony

    Thank you Nick
    At least I can read the existing data.
    i'll evaluate if i should continu to use this or implement another
    encryption.

    Rony
    rony steelandt, Jul 26, 2006