Missing Stack Trace usign log4j

Discussion in 'Java' started by brian.vanheesch@gmail.com, Jan 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I am creating a custom log4j appender (extends AppenderSkeleton) to
    record data into a previous developed logging system.

    On occasion (18 times out of test order 120,000 executions) (not
    reproducable, as of yet), I get the following message in my log file:

    >> 160954.679:Notification Processor #4:INFO

    com.datamodel.WorkOrder - CANNOT PROCESS PROPERLY
    java.lang.NullPointerException

    >> 160954.679:Notification Processor #4:INFO

    the line prefixed with ">>" is the log header record.

    My problem is that I do not know whether the NPE exception is generated
    and reported in the appender or in the calling code; since there is no
    stack trace printed.

    Is there appender debugging tools or can someone offer a suggestion
    here?
    , Jan 23, 2006