    --
    R. Mark Volkmann
    Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

    Mark Volkmann, Jan 9, 2006

  2. On 1/9/06, Mark Volkmann <> wrote:
    > I've been looking at the ri documentation for Thread.status. It's
    > seems like there's a thread status that isn't accounted for. What is
    > the status of a thread that is ready to run, but is waiting for the
    > scheduler to select it? Neither "run" or "sleep" seems appropriate.

    It turns out the thread status of "run" means that the thread is
    *eligible* to be run, not that it is currently running. There is no
    state that indicates that a given thread is currently running. I guess
    that's because when a piece of code wants to check this, its thread is
    the one that is running. Of course this won't work if and when we get
    native threads where it's actually possible for two threads to be
    running concurrently on different processors.

    Mark Volkmann, Jan 10, 2006