Missing unicode data?

Klaus Alexander Seistrup

Hi group,

I just came across the following exception:

#v+

$ python
Python 2.4.2 (#2, Sep 30 2005, 21:19:01)
[GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu8)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
$

#-

When checking unicodedata.name() against each uchar in the file
/usr/share/unidata/UnicodeData-4.0.1d1b.txt that came with the
console-data package on my Ubuntu Linux installation a total of
1226 unicode characters seems to be missing from the unicodedata
module (2477 missing characters when checking against the latest
database from unicode.org¹). Is this a deliberate omission?

Cheers,
Klaus.

¹) http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt