Misterious IP -> name resolution in Uri.GetLeftPart() method

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MP, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. MP

    MP Guest

    Hi all,
    we have a very peculiar problem that occurs in just one of our two win2003
    servers running IIS6. Details:
    server 1: win2003 server standard SP1 (the one with the problem)
    server 2: win2003 server R2 standard SP1 (the one that works fine)
    The two servers are hosted by the same company but on two different
    networks, and we access them via IP address (no domain names registered for
    them, this is also for security reasons).
    The two servers host a few copies of the same web application, that includes
    a .NET web service as well (framework 1.1). The problem is that on server 1,
    when calling the Uri.GetLeftPart() method, instead of returning the original
    URL requested, say "http://1.2.3.4/" returns http://clients/. Also, when
    requesting the WSDL to the web service, the xml returned contains also a tag
    like this "<soap:address location="https://clients/etc.." />" with that
    "clients" instead of the IP address. We suspect that this "clients" name
    comes from an attempt to create a sub-domain like "clients.company.com" we
    were doing some time ago. This was then abandoned and - as far as we know -
    any DNS entries have now been removed, but we suspect that this "clients" is
    cached somewhere.
    Any ideas? I know this is a bizarre problem, so I hope some MS people can
    help out!

    MP, Sep 8, 2006

  2. re:
    > http://clients/

    Is that machine's name "clients", by any chance ?
    To check, right-click "My Computer", and select the "Computer Name" tab.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 8, 2006

  3. MP

    MP Guest

    "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    > re:
    >> http://clients/

    > Is that machine's name "clients", by any chance ?

    Sorry I forgot to mention this before: the server has a completely different
    name and the word "clients" does not appear anywhere I could search for it
    (files, registry, etc.). The second server is virtually identical to the
    first in any aspect, apart from a few details, but is not affected by this
    problem.
    Thanks for any more ideas!

    MP, Sep 8, 2006
  4. MP

    Damien Guest

    MP wrote:
    > "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    > > re:
    > >> http://clients/

    > > Is that machine's name "clients", by any chance ?

    > Sorry I forgot to mention this before: the server has a completely different
    > name and the word "clients" does not appear anywhere I could search for it
    > (files, registry, etc.). The second server is virtually identical to the
    > first in any aspect, apart from a few details, but is not affected by this
    > problem.
    > Thanks for any more ideas!

    What's the setup like in IIS Manager. Are there multiple websites or
    only one? If multiple, (or if the default has been renamed), which
    website(s) are bound to the IP address you are using for access?

    Damien

    Damien, Sep 8, 2006
  5. MP

    MP Guest

    "Damien" <> wrote in message

    > What's the setup like in IIS Manager. Are there multiple websites or
    > only one? If multiple, (or if the default has been renamed), which
    > website(s) are bound to the IP address you are using for access?

    The setup is very basic: only the default web site is present and bound to
    the IP used for access. The active roles for the server are "file server"
    and "application server" only. I can add that the server has been running
    for more than one year without any reboot.

    MP, Sep 8, 2006