Misterious IP -> name resolution in Uri.GetLeftPart() method

MP

Hi all,
we have a very peculiar problem that occurs in just one of our two win2003
servers running IIS6. Details:
server 1: win2003 server standard SP1 (the one with the problem)
server 2: win2003 server R2 standard SP1 (the one that works fine)
The two servers are hosted by the same company but on two different
networks, and we access them via IP address (no domain names registered for
them, this is also for security reasons).
The two servers host a few copies of the same web application, that includes
a .NET web service as well (framework 1.1). The problem is that on server 1,
when calling the Uri.GetLeftPart() method, instead of returning the original
URL requested, say "http://1.2.3.4/" returns http://clients/. Also, when
requesting the WSDL to the web service, the xml returned contains also a tag
like this "<soap:address location="https://clients/etc.." />" with that
"clients" instead of the IP address. We suspect that this "clients" name
comes from an attempt to create a sub-domain like "clients.company.com" we
were doing some time ago. This was then abandoned and - as far as we know -
any DNS entries have now been removed, but we suspect that this "clients" is
cached somewhere.
Any ideas? I know this is a bizarre problem, so I hope some MS people can
help out!

MP

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

Is that machine's name "clients", by any chance ?

Sorry I forgot to mention this before: the server has a completely different
name and the word "clients" does not appear anywhere I could search for it
(files, registry, etc.). The second server is virtually identical to the
first in any aspect, apart from a few details, but is not affected by this
problem.
Thanks for any more ideas!

Damien

MP said:
Sorry I forgot to mention this before: the server has a completely different
name and the word "clients" does not appear anywhere I could search for it
(files, registry, etc.). The second server is virtually identical to the
first in any aspect, apart from a few details, but is not affected by this
problem.
Thanks for any more ideas!

What's the setup like in IIS Manager. Are there multiple websites or
only one? If multiple, (or if the default has been renamed), which
website(s) are bound to the IP address you are using for access?

Damien

MP

What's the setup like in IIS Manager. Are there multiple websites or
only one? If multiple, (or if the default has been renamed), which
website(s) are bound to the IP address you are using for access?

The setup is very basic: only the default web site is present and bound to
the IP used for access. The active roles for the server are "file server"
and "application server" only. I can add that the server has been running
for more than one year without any reboot.