Mixed Authentication, ASP.Net 2.0, IIS 5.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by camainc, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. camainc

    camainc Guest

    Can someone point me to a ~working~ example of using mixed
    authentication in an ASP.Net 2.0 website?

    I have been screwing around with this all day and I am no closer to a
    solution. It seems to me that this sort of thing should just be "built-
    in." I can't believe that after 10+ years of ASP.Net and IIS that
    there isn't an integrated solution for this.

    I know there must be a lot of other developers out there with this
    need - integrated windows authentication for internal users, forms
    authentication for external users - all in the same site. Why is this
    so #!$) hard??

    Why do we have to jump through flaming hoops of custom ISAPI filters
    or HTTP modules spewing out javascript with redirects, and Lord knows
    what else, just to support both internal and external users in a
    seamless fashion?

    I have been googling this all day long, and have found several
    articles, most of which are several years old, and which involve
    labyrinthine coding and IIS tweaking to make them work. Am I missing
    something obvious here?

    camainc, Jun 18, 2008

  2. camainc

    camainc Guest

    One clarification - both internal and external users are within
    trusted domains - they are just in separate domains, and one is not a
    Windows-based network, so I have to use forms-based security for them,
    and integrated security for the Windows users. Having them all go
    through a username/password form is not an option - the windows users
    just want to open the site and already be logged in.

    camainc, Jun 18, 2008