    Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
    declarations and statements".

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, May 5, 2011

  2. Keith Thompson

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Keith Thompson <> writes:

    > The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
    > mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
    > and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
    > and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
    > generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
    > and directives.
    >
    > Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
    > declarations and statements".

    I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
    C99.
    --
    Ben Pfaff
    http://benpfaff.org

    Ben Pfaff, May 5, 2011

  3. Ben Pfaff <> writes:
    > Keith Thompson <> writes:
    >> The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
    >> mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
    >> and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
    >> and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
    >> generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
    >> and directives.
    >>
    >> Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
    >> declarations and statements".

    > I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
    > C99.

    And I posted in the wrong newsgroup; I meant that to go to comp.std.c.

    But presumably the next C standard will still include the list of major
    changes from C90 to C99, in addition to a new list of changes from C99
    to C201X. My suggestion (which I'll now re-post to the right place) is
    to update that section in the next C standard.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, May 5, 2011
  4. Keith Thompson

    Uno Guest

    On 5/5/2011 11:25 AM, Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Ben Pfaff<> writes:
    >> Keith Thompson<> writes:
    >>> The C99 foreword, in the list of major changes between C90 and C99,
    >>> mentions "mixed declarations and code". The word "code" is ambiguous
    >>> and misleading. The standard doesn't provide a definition for it,
    >>> and there are several examples where the word "code" clearly refers
    >>> generally to any C source code, including statements, declarations,
    >>> and directives.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestion: Change "mixed declarations and code" to "mixed
    >>> declarations and statements".

    >> I think that you're about 12 years late to suggest a change to
    >> C99.

    > And I posted in the wrong newsgroup; I meant that to go to comp.std.c.
    >
    > But presumably the next C standard will still include the list of major
    > changes from C90 to C99, in addition to a new list of changes from C99
    > to C201X. My suggestion (which I'll now re-post to the right place) is
    > to update that section in the next C standard.

    I compile a lot of "source," and I don't refer to it as "source code"
    ever, as that is less descriptive than the former.

    Statements comprise the business end of the source.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, May 8, 2011