Mixed language development

Guest

Supposedly the 2.0 framework allows mixed language development.
Has anyone got it to work?
I know it doesn't work in the app_code directory.

Craig Deelsnyder

Supposedly the 2.0 framework allows mixed language development.
Has anyone got it to work?
I know it doesn't work in the app_code directory.

It doesn't work 'as-is' in the App_Code folder since that gets compiled
into 1 assembly. You can create subfolders in the App_Code and supposedly
it will work:

web.config:
<compilation debug="true">
<codeSubDirectories>
<add directoryName="VB" />
<add directoryName="CS" />
</codeSubDirectories>
</compilation>

create your folders (here called VB and CS) and drop the code in each..

Karl Seguin [MVP]

One has to wonder why you'd want to do that.

While I agree it's nice to have, I can't think of many compelling reasons
why you'd want to mix languages and can come up with a couple drawbacks. As
far as I'm concerned, you should pick one or the other.

Karl

tdavisjr

Doing this would be a nightmare for any Developmet Shop with a team of
developers. Its a nice feature; but what would you gain.

Guest

I did pikc one language. Then management told me to switch to a new language.
--
Arne Garvander
Certified Geek

Arne said:
I did pikc one language. Then management told me to switch to a new language.

Ha ha! Love it when that happens....would love to hear the 'reasons' :)

Actually you've found a good reason, to be able to keep developing new
pages without recoding the old ones (yet); tho as alluded to at some
point you'll want to convert them all to one language. But this will
bide you time...

Guest

You mean that management is reasonable!
Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not.
This time they gave no reason.
When people select between VB and C#, it is usually not because of a reason.
It is just a personal choice.