    What is the "mixed mode" execution in java? What are other modes of execution?

    thanks,
    Naresh
    Naresh Agarwal, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Naresh Agarwal wrote:
    > What is the "mixed mode" execution in java? What are other modes of execution?

    The modes of execution are "compiled" and "interpreted". Modern JVMs mix both by
    selectively compiling to machine code only those parts of the bytecode that are
    executed most often (and applying special runtime optimizations). This avoids the
    compilation overhead for those parts of the code where it would yield no benefits.
    Michael Borgwardt, Jan 8, 2004

  3. thanks for reply Micheal.

    Current Sun JVMs use HotSpot technology, which itself means "mixed"
    mode.

    Is it possible to use HotSpot VM in conjuction with "compiled" or
    "interpreted" mode?

    thanks,
    Naresh

    Naresh Agarwal, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Naresh Agarwal wrote:

    > thanks for reply Micheal.
    >
    > Current Sun JVMs use HotSpot technology, which itself means "mixed"
    > mode.
    >
    > Is it possible to use HotSpot VM in conjuction with "compiled" or
    > "interpreted" mode?

    Look at the docs for the java tool. It has an -Xint option to disable JIT
    compilation, forcing it into pure interpreted mode. I'm not sure if it's
    possible to force it to compile everything: the -Xbatch option prevents
    the interpreted execution of methodes that are being compiled, but that
    doesn't necessarily mean all methods are compiled.
    Michael Borgwardt, Jan 9, 2004