    won't validate as strict HTML. If I stick a loose DTD on that page, it
    will validate but is this a good thing to do?

    Thanks

    JWL, Oct 13, 2006

  2. JWL

    Andy Dingley Guest

    JWL wrote:

    > Is it OK to mix doctypes on the same site, just to get everything to
    > validate?

    Absolutely. HTML only has the scope of one "page" at a time.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 13, 2006

  3. In article <>, JWL <>
    wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Is it OK to mix doctypes on the same site, just to get everything to
    > validate? For example, my site is in strict HTML but HTML injected by
    > FCKEditor is using the width attribute on tables etc., which of course
    > won't validate as strict HTML. If I stick a loose DTD on that page, it
    > will validate but is this a good thing to do?

    It's OK to have multiple doctypes on one site. In fact, most sites do.
    However, the one really shouldn't be creating new pages with the
    transitional DTD. That DTD was meant to allow HTML authors to write
    valid pages while coping with the browsers of that time (seven years
    ago!) which were not so CSS savvy. Nowadays new pages really ought to be
    strict, not transitional. So the best solution would be to get an editor
    that doesn't create gunky HTML for you, but I realize that that wasn't
    the question you asked. =)

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/

    Nikita the Spider, Oct 13, 2006
  4. JWL wrote:

    > Is it OK to mix doctypes on the same site,

    Yes.

    > For example, my site is in strict HTML but HTML injected by
    > FCKEditor is using the width attribute on tables

    So when it submits the markup to the server, strip out the presentational
    junk.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 13, 2006
  5. JWL

    JWL Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > JWL wrote:
    >
    >> Is it OK to mix doctypes on the same site,

    > Yes.
    >
    >> For example, my site is in strict HTML but HTML injected by
    >> FCKEditor is using the width attribute on tables

    > So when it submits the markup to the server, strip out the presentational
    > junk.

    Hmm. But the presentational junk is the whole point in using the editor,
    is it not? Otherwise I could just use a textarea.

    JWL, Oct 16, 2006
  6. JWL wrote:

    > Hmm. But the presentational junk is the whole point in using the editor,
    > is it not?

    I thought it was to provide a point and click interface for adding headings,
    empthasis, links and so on.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 16, 2006