    Mik

    PS: I've reposted this message as the previous subject (software app and Python: any experience?) didn't make any sense
    , Jan 28, 2013

  2. David Hutto Guest

    On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM, <> wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I am thinking of driving a DJ application from Python.
    > I am running Linux and I found the Mixxx app.
    > Does anyone know if there are python bindings, or if this is possible at all?
    > or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?
    >
    > I have also found the pymixxx module that I could install... but I didn't find any documentation so far or example code that could help me start (I'm keeping on searching).
    >
    > Finally maybe that there is any DJ app that could be driven by pygame.midi?
    >
    > Any idea appreciated.
    > Sorry to fail to be more specific.

    I'd just go with a command line app that triggered a .wav file at
    certain points using time.sleep(x)

    Best Regards,
    David Hutto
    CEO: http://www.hitwebdevelopment.com
    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013

  3. David Hutto Guest

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM, David Hutto <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I am thinking of driving a DJ application from Python.
    >> I am running Linux and I found the Mixxx app.
    >> Does anyone know if there are python bindings, or if this is possible at all?
    >> or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?

    Hydrogen, and audacity work perfectly together.

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013
  4. David Hutto Guest

    >>> Does anyone know if there are python bindings, or if this is possible at all?
    >>> or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?
    >>>

    >Hydrogen, and audacity work perfectly together.

    What I was about to do is take the mic, get the soundtrack/beat to the
    song going, and then plug it into audacity for further modification,
    or you can roll your own.

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:13:09 PM UTC, David Hutto wrote:
    [..]

    > >> or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?

    > Hydrogen, and audacity work perfectly together.

    Hi David,
    thanks for your reply.
    I am not sure though that this is going to help me.
    We have built a kind of basic controller that sends commands via bluetooth.
    Then I should have some device (like a linux pc or raspberry Pi) where I have my applications that listen for these bluetooth commands and drives a DJ application accordingly (like mixing two sounds, sync them etc).

    Obviously to write the whole application will take ages and I saw that the Mixxx one does everything I want.
    So I am searching for a way to interface to it programatically.

    Do you mean that Hydrogen and Audacity would replace the Mixxx app and I can call their functionality from Python?
    Or were you thinking about something else?

    Thanks,
    Mik
    , Jan 29, 2013

  7. David Hutto Guest

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM, David Hutto <> wrote:

    >>Hydrogen, and audacity work perfectly together.

    What I was about to do is take the output to the headphones, get the
    soundtrack/beat to the
    song going, and then plug it into audacity(mic) for further modification,
    or you can roll your own.

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013
  8. David Hutto Guest

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM, <> wrote:
    > On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:13:09 PM UTC, David Hutto wrote:
    > [..]

    >> Hydrogen, and audacity work perfectly together.

    > Hi David,
    > thanks for your reply.
    > I am not sure though that this is going to help me.
    > We have built a kind of basic controller that sends commands via bluetooth.
    > Then I should have some device (like a linux pc or raspberry Pi) where I have my applications that listen for these bluetooth commands and drives a DJ application accordingly (like mixing two sounds, sync them etc).
    >
    > Obviously to write the whole application will take ages and I saw that the Mixxx one does everything I want.
    > So I am searching for a way to interface to it programatically.

    Well you can just use their(Mixx's) source code that they used from
    another wav form manipulation library(more than likely), after the
    trigger from the bluetooth. If you're talking voice, and music to
    sync, then either go with transmitting at the same, or take two
    receivers(one for each transmitter), and run them in unison on
    different frequencies, after they've been received..

    I've never tried this, but it seems logical.

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013
  9. Ben Guest

    This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a singleboard computer that ran a python client.

    It wasn't too bad. If you want I can see if I can release the server code.

    Ben, Jan 29, 2013
  10. Ben Guest

    Ben, Jan 29, 2013
  11. David Hutto Guest

    On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Ben <> wrote:
    > This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

    So you used a digital buffer region for your wave forms? How did you
    handle the rest of the data; allocate memory, or delete if the data
    became too lengthy?

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:45:18 PM UTC, Ben wrote:
    > This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

    Hi Ben,
    this would be actually interesting to look at.
    If you are not going to face problems, please send me the code.

    Thanks,
    Mik
    , Jan 29, 2013

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:45:18 PM UTC, Ben wrote:
    > This may not be too helpful, but I built a TCP server into the Mixxx application (in C++). I placed the server in ratecontroller (as I needed to vary the rate remotely). I then could send and receive TCP packets with a single board computer that ran a python client.

    Hi Ben,
    this would be actually interesting to look at.
    If you are not going to face problems, please send me the code.

    Thanks,
    Mik
    , Jan 29, 2013

    On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:42:07 PM UTC, David Hutto wrote:
    [..]

    > Well you can just use their(Mixx's) source code that they used from
    >
    > another wav form manipulation library(more than likely), after the
    >
    > trigger from the bluetooth. If you're talking voice, and music to
    >
    > sync, then either go with transmitting at the same, or take two
    >
    > receivers(one for each transmitter), and run them in unison on
    >
    > different frequencies, after they've been received..
    >

    > I've never tried this, but it seems logical.

    Thanks David.
    It seems that the code is in C++ so I should write Python wrappers myself, which could be interesting, but given the time frame I have is just not possible, Pity :-(
    However I was not going to transmit sounds, but just commands to mix the sounds that are already in the same machine were the Mixxx is going to run.
    I hope I will have time to come back to it in future.

  16. David Hutto Guest

    > Thanks David.
    > It seems that the code is in C++ so I should write Python wrappers myself,

    Or ctypes.
    which could be interesting, but given the time frame I have is just
    not possible, Pity :-(
    > However I was not going to transmit sounds, but just commands to mix the sounds that are already in the same machine were the Mixxx is going to run.

    A filter is minutia in comparison of code

    so it was always going to be a comand line app, with a python GUI, to
    perform alterations on the wave forms?.

    > I hope I will have time to come back to it in future.

    Just a little practice, that makes every programmer listening scramble.

    David Hutto, Jan 29, 2013
  17. alex23 Guest

    On Jan 29, 1:10 am, wrote:
    > I am thinking of driving a DJ application from Python.
    > I am running Linux and I found the Mixxx app.
    > Does anyone know if there are python bindings, or if this is possible at all?
    > or does anyone have experience with another software that does the same DJ thing?

    The simplest way I think would be to control Mixxx via midi, using
    something like pyPortMidi:

    http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/code.html

    If that doesn't give you the full range of control you're after,
    perhaps you could use ctypes to wrap Mixxx's code libraries?
    alex23, Jan 30, 2013