MLDBM error

Mark Ng

Hi,

I got a file that was created using MLDBM (DB_File Storable) a couple of
years ago. Now, when I tried to load it I get this error:

MLDBM error: Second level tie failed, "" at data.pm line 290

Any suggestions on how I can read the file ?

I am using perl 5.8.4 on Debian.

Thanks,
mark

Mark Ng

Just a guess: The problem is probably with the DB_File end of things --
DMB-type files tend not to be portable across platforms/versions or
perhaps even nominally similar computers (depending on what compilation
options were used for each system). You may need to go back to the same
platform/version where the file was written in order to read it, and
there generate an ASCII dump of the key/value pairs to bring to your
current system to regenerate the DB_File file.

Yes, found a machine with Perl 5.6 and it worked perfectly.
DBM-type files are not a
good choice for archiving data.

Yes, definitely.

mark