    it does not appear to force other processes to wait. Thus all the
    usual race conditions and possibilities for corrupting the data
    emerge.
    Jeff Mott, Aug 12, 2003

  2. Jeff Mott

    simonis Guest

    Jeff Mott wrote:

    > Is there a wrapper to perform encryption on an MLDBM database? Since
    > file permissions is a Unix-only feature, I'd prefer not to rely on
    > that. Data encryption would appear to be the only cross platform way
    > to keep the data secure. Unless someone has any better ideas...?

    Not sure how this is related to Perl.

    > Also, am I able to lock this type of database? I did some testing and
    > it does not appear to force other processes to wait. Thus all the
    > usual race conditions and possibilities for corrupting the data
    > emerge.

    Is this like what you need:
    http://search.cpan.org/author/CHAMAS/MLDBM-Sync-0.30/Sync.pm ??
    simonis, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Jeff Mott

    Jeff Mott Guest

    simonis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Jeff Mott wrote:
    > >
    > > Is there a wrapper to perform encryption on an MLDBM database? Since
    > > file permissions is a Unix-only feature, I'd prefer not to rely on
    > > that. Data encryption would appear to be the only cross platform way
    > > to keep the data secure. Unless someone has any better ideas...?

    > Not sure how this is related to Perl.

    errr....why are so many people so !@#$ %^&* about this kind of
    thing?!?

    There is an MLDBM module __FOR PERL__. I am importing this module into
    my program, written __IN PERL__. I want this data secure without being
    dependant on any particular OS. So I need a sub class of MLDBM (that
    would be another __PERL MODULE__) that, using an encryption
    implemention __WRITTEN FOR PERL__, encrypts/decrypts all data
    stored/retrieved.

    Are you seeing how this relates to Perl yet?
    Jeff Mott, Aug 13, 2003
  4. (Jeff Mott) writes:
    > errr....why are so many people so !@#$ %^&* about this kind of
    > thing?!?

    Because a lot of people post questions like, "When I print this
    javascript code to the browser with perl, it doesn't work. How should
    I fix it?" Not to say your question is in that league, but after a
    few thousand time, it does get old.

    > There is an MLDBM module __FOR PERL__. I am importing this module into
    > my program, written __IN PERL__. I want this data secure without being
    > dependant on any particular OS. So I need a sub class of MLDBM (that
    > would be another __PERL MODULE__) that, using an encryption
    > implemention __WRITTEN FOR PERL__, encrypts/decrypts all data
    > stored/retrieved.

    So, you can't rely on OS permissions to prevent people from reading
    the MLDBM file, but you can rely on them to prevent people from
    reading the encryption/decryption key in your script? That makes no
    sense to me, unless your program and MLDBM file are on different
    OSes.

    Seems to me you could use something like GnuPG::Interface or Crypt::*
    to encrypt/decrypt the file, but you still get back to the question of
    how your program can decrypt the file without letting anyone else see
    the contents, and the only way I know of to do that is via OS
    permissions.

    Semi-on-topic: Doesn't NTFS have ACLs or some such that you could use
    to the same effect as OS permissions? AFAIK, most other semi-modern
    OSes have some sort equivalent to the Unix permissions model.

    > Are you seeing how this relates to Perl yet?

    Your question seemed reasonable to me, and I'm semi-hair-trigger about
    these things myself.

    -=Eric
    -- Blair Houghton.
    Eric Schwartz, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Jeff Mott

    simonis Guest

    Jeff Mott wrote:

    > simonis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Jeff Mott wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Is there a wrapper to perform encryption on an MLDBM database? Since
    > > > file permissions is a Unix-only feature, I'd prefer not to rely on
    > > > that. Data encryption would appear to be the only cross platform way
    > > > to keep the data secure. Unless someone has any better ideas...?

    > > Not sure how this is related to Perl.

    > errr....why are so many people so !@#$ %^&* about this kind of
    > thing?!?
    >
    > There is an MLDBM module __FOR PERL__. I am importing this module into
    > my program, written __IN PERL__. I want this data secure without being
    > dependant on any particular OS. So I need a sub class of MLDBM (that
    > would be another __PERL MODULE__) that, using an encryption
    > implemention __WRITTEN FOR PERL__, encrypts/decrypts all data
    > stored/retrieved.
    >
    > Are you seeing how this relates to Perl yet?

    No.
    simonis, Aug 13, 2003