Mobile Devices Data Transfer Dotnet

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Colin Graham, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Colin Graham

    Colin Graham Guest

    My skills are in VB. Net/SQL Server and i have touched on PDA
    development mainly as a tester. i am aware of using webservices for
    functionality.

    I have been given a task to develop a solution which enables users of
    handheld devices to go out to various sites and record information and
    send the information back to a head office from site for processing.

    Does anyone have any ideas or could give me any help regarding best
    methods of connectivity and transferring of data. costs/speed etc....

    My basic plan is to use a handheld device with some type of
    connectivity (some people have mentioned GPRS but i dont have a
    clue)technology to access web services on a server and then transfer
    data using an XML dataset. Do i need sql server on the handheld device
    ???

    does anyone have any helpful hints on how to connect to the
    webservices, where the webservices should be located as i dont know
    much about this aspect. Are thet located on a webserver hosted by a
    3rd party or do i have my own server back at the main office.

    any help greatly appreciated

    Regards

    CG

    Colin Graham, Sep 30, 2004