Mobile Devices Data Transfer Dotnet

Colin Graham

My skills are in VB. Net/SQL Server and i have touched on PDA
development mainly as a tester. i am aware of using webservices for
functionality.

I have been given a task to develop a solution which enables users of
handheld devices to go out to various sites and record information and
send the information back to a head office from site for processing.

Does anyone have any ideas or could give me any help regarding best
methods of connectivity and transferring of data. costs/speed etc....

My basic plan is to use a handheld device with some type of
connectivity (some people have mentioned GPRS but i dont have a
clue)technology to access web services on a server and then transfer
data using an XML dataset. Do i need sql server on the handheld device
???

does anyone have any helpful hints on how to connect to the
webservices, where the webservices should be located as i dont know
much about this aspect. Are thet located on a webserver hosted by a
3rd party or do i have my own server back at the main office.

any help greatly appreciated

Regards

CG