Mobile Devices

rodmc

Hi,

I have been scouting around online for information on how to use
Python and a GUI toolikit to develop mobile devices. At present I am
using wxPython for desktop apps and would like to continue using that
if possible. Anyway, I would like to know what people would recommend
for developing mobile applications which can run on Windows Mobile and
Mac OS X (iPhone etc)? It would also be cool if the same apps could
run where possible (or atleast part of them) on desktop machines as
well.

Any tips, experiences etc welcome. This is really to stimulate some
general discussion.

Best,

rod

TYR

Hi,

I have been scouting around online for information on how to use
Python and a GUI toolikit to develop mobile devices. At present I am
using wxPython for desktop apps and would like to continue using that
if possible. Anyway, I would like to know what people would recommend
for developing mobile applications which can run on Windows Mobile and
Mac OS X (iPhone etc)? It would also be cool if the same apps could
run where possible (or atleast part of them) on desktop machines as
well.

Any tips, experiences etc welcome. This is really to stimulate some
general discussion.

Best,

rod

I know nothing of running Python on WinMob devices, but I see no
reason why it shouldn't be possible. However MS doesn't, as far as I
know, support it or provide any tools/sdks/ecosystem services. Apple
has its own rather closed ecosystem for iPhone support, but as
everyone knows there is a vigorous hacker community doing unofficial
things with them. However, I'm not aware of any python activity.

Most mobile Python activity is in the nokiasphere; there is a Nokia-
backed version of Python for S60 devices, which is fully supported,
includes Python libs that wrap the devices' native functionality up to
and including N95 accelerometers, and has a desktop mobile device
emulator for convenience. However, wxPython wouldn't really be
relevant as pyS60 includes its own native GUI toolkit, appuifw; no
reason why you couldn't install the module and try, though, but using
appuifw does ensure that your GUI will look like all the other stuff
on the phone.

It won't, of course, work on your PC.