    general discussion.

    Best,

    rod

    rodmc, Jun 25, 2008

  2. rodmc

    TYR Guest

    On Jun 25, 10:38 am, rodmc <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been scouting around online for information on how to use
    > Python and a GUI toolikit to develop mobile devices. At present I am
    > using wxPython for desktop apps and would like to continue using that
    > if possible. Anyway, I would like to know what people would recommend
    > for developing mobile applications which can run on Windows Mobile and
    > Mac OS X (iPhone etc)? It would also be cool if the same apps could
    > run where possible (or atleast part of them) on desktop machines as
    > well.
    >
    > Any tips, experiences etc welcome. This is really to stimulate some
    > general discussion.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > rod

    I know nothing of running Python on WinMob devices, but I see no
    reason why it shouldn't be possible. However MS doesn't, as far as I
    know, support it or provide any tools/sdks/ecosystem services. Apple
    has its own rather closed ecosystem for iPhone support, but as
    everyone knows there is a vigorous hacker community doing unofficial
    things with them. However, I'm not aware of any python activity.

    Most mobile Python activity is in the nokiasphere; there is a Nokia-
    backed version of Python for S60 devices, which is fully supported,
    includes Python libs that wrap the devices' native functionality up to
    and including N95 accelerometers, and has a desktop mobile device
    emulator for convenience. However, wxPython wouldn't really be
    relevant as pyS60 includes its own native GUI toolkit, appuifw; no
    reason why you couldn't install the module and try, though, but using
    appuifw does ensure that your GUI will look like all the other stuff
    on the phone.

    It won't, of course, work on your PC.

    TYR, Jun 25, 2008

  3. rodmc

    rodmc Guest

    Thanks for your reply, I may dig out my really old Symbian phone and
    try it out.

    rod

    rodmc, Jun 26, 2008