Mobile IE capabilities

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Andrew, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Working on a mobile web-app but running into a couple stumbling points with
    mobile IE... namely the handling of CSS and JavaScript by the latest Mobile
    IE (6?). Not really talking about .Net controls or the like, but more just
    the pure CSS and JavaScript functionality.

    For example, I put in the .css file linked to the page, a definition for the
    BODY tag to have "margin: 0px; padding: 0px;" yet when I view the page in
    the mobile IE, there is still a margin/padding around the entire body.
    Using the old "leftmargin=0 topmargin=0" of good old HTML doesn't have an
    effect either. I have also noticed that if I use CSS to dictate the width
    and height of textboxes (ie: "width: 100px; height 20px;") mobile IE seems
    to ignore this for the HTML attributes of SIZE or ROWS/COLUMNS for
    textareas. What's the deal here?

    And secondly, the way mobile IE handles JavaScript is a bit strange. I can
    use the "onclick" JavaScript event handlers of buttons, or use JavaScript to
    build the contents of a dropdownlist, but when I try to use a DHTML popup
    calendar it doesn't work. Using the ASP.Net calendar control is not an
    option (long story), which is why I tried the DHTML calendar, but even using
    JavaScript to build a calendar in a pop-up window doesn't work either. Is
    there some degree to which mobile IE allows/handles JavaScript but anything
    more advanced it doesn't?

    In short, can someone point me to a source that specifies what CSS mobile IE
    understands or allows, and does anyone have a (non .Net) pop-up calendar --
    like a date-picker -- that works on mobile IE they can point me to?

    Thanks

    -- Andrew

    Andrew, Oct 16, 2008