Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on clie

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Mike McAllister, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Mobile Web Forms application, VS2005.

    First, I see the same results from VS 2003 and VS 2005

    The client device is a brand new Sprint Smarphone running Windows Mobile
    2005, version 5.2.?.?.

    The LinkButton and DataGrid controls within Mobile User Controls have no
    client-side click event that posts back to the server. They are totally
    'dead'.

    On the grid, page number links are dead; Select links are dead.

    Now for the strange part. Buttons post-back fine and after the first
    round-trip from a button click, then the Select and page number links work on
    the DataGrid.

    However, the LinkButtons never work.

    Is this a know issue? I have tested on Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile
    2003 SE, Desktop IE, an HP iPaq PDA running Windows Mobile 2005 5.0.?.? and
    they all work fine.

    Could it be something in the SmartPhone extensions?

    What can be causing this, please?
    --
    Mike McAllister
    Mike McAllister, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Hi Mike,

    Thanks for posting!

    For the current issue, I'm not very clear about the problem. So could you
    please give me some more details about the issue?

    >"The LinkButton and DataGrid controls within Mobile User Controls have no

    client-side click event that posts back to the server. They are totally
    'dead'."
    As far as I know, the Mobile Controls doesn't contain the DataGrid control.
    It uses the "ObjectList" control to present the data. So if you use the
    DataGird in the Mobile Web form, I don't think this can work fine.

    Additionally, if the page is not using the Mobile control, I have performed
    some test that I use the Smartphone to access the normal page which
    includes the GridView control and LinkButton control. It seems work fine. I
    think maybe the problem is caused by the explorer in the Smartphone. After
    researching, there is no issue refer the current problem. Could you send me
    a repro demo and it will help me to narrow down the current problem?

    I appreciate your understanding!

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Jan 23, 2006

  3. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    You can use DataGrid and other 'normal' ASP.NET controls if you place them in
    a Mobile User Control; and then place that parent control on the Mobile Web
    Form.

    Do you have access to a Sprint PPC 6700? This is the device where the
    browser has dead DataGrid and LinkButton client events. Buttons work. The
    Device is running Windows Mobile 5.2.?.?

    I can give you a URL to test, but only by private email. Please send email
    and I'll provide a URL for you to test.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    Mike McAllister

    Mike McAllister, Jan 24, 2006
  4. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Mike,

    You can try emailing the link through the link in our signature(removing
    the "online" ).

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 27, 2006
  5. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    I have sent personal emails to both Steven Cheng and Yuan Ren; hopefully
    providing the necessary information requested.

    Is there the possibility of someone looking into this issue?

    Thanks,
    --
    Mike McAllister

    Mike McAllister, Feb 9, 2006
  6. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your reply!

    I have performed the test but encountered some error. Please reply me when
    you receive my email. Thanks!

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Feb 13, 2006
  7. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Yuan,
    Thanks for your reply.
    We will need to coordinate your testing, meaning the back-end for the Mobile
    web application is not up all the time. The back-end is a 1,300+ screen ERP
    system which is under very active development. You'll need to email me a my
    work email accress ahead of time so I can make sure the back end is up. I'll
    send you my work address by private email.
    Thanks.
    --
    Mike McAllister

    Mike McAllister, Feb 14, 2006
  8. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your reply!

    I have performed the test both on my Smartphone and simulator.
    Unfortunately, I can not reproduce the current issue. The ¡°select¡± link
    button works fine on my side. I have some screenshots for the current issue
    and I¡¯ll send them to you. Based on my experience, the current issue is
    caused by the special smart phone or simulator. I suggest you change to
    another smart phone or simulator and perform the test again, then please
    find whether the problem still occurs. Thanks for your understanding!

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Feb 16, 2006
  9. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Yuan, we're going around in circles here.

    I mentioned in the very beginning this is a Sprint PPC 6700 problem. Do you
    have one? It's running Mobile 5.x so it's your responsibility as it is
    running a Microsoft OS.

    I know it works on other devices. That is not the point. It *does not* work
    on a Sprint PPC 6700. I have tried a couple.

    Please reply as soon as is possible, thanks.
    --
    Mike McAllister

    Mike McAllister, Feb 17, 2006
  10. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for your reply!

    At the current stage, I think the issue isn't caused by the ASP.NET. The
    Mobile OS which I have used is the Windows Mobile 5.x. I can supply the
    screenshot if you want to confirm this.

    If the problem is just encountered in the special device, I think the issue
    would be a product limitation. If you need a solution to work around this
    problem, it is better for you if one of our PSS support engineers could
    work with you. This may need you submit a support incident in Microsoft PSS
    (Product Support Service). As a MSDN subscriber, you have two free support
    incidents.

    By the way, if the problem is confirmed by Microsoft PSS as a product
    issue, PSS won't charge money. Every MSDN subscriber has two free support
    incidents. You could use one of them to contact Microsoft PSS. So you don't
    need to pay money yet. Surely if the issue is a product issue, you still
    have two free support incidents.

    For your reference, I attached steps to contact Microsoft PSS here: You can
    contact Microsoft Product Support directly to discuss additional support
    options you may have available, by contacting us at 1-(800)936-5800 or by
    choosing one of the options listed at
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=gp;en-us;offer
    prophone

    Regards,

    Yuan Ren [MSFT]
    Microsoft Online Support
    Yuan Ren[MSFT], Feb 20, 2006
  11. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hi Yuan,
    As a Microsoft Partner, subscribed to the Microsoft Empowerment program, we
    don't have any free Support issues. We only have access to the Managed
    Newsgroups.

    Do you have authority to grant us a free Support issue?

    --
    Mike McAllister

    Mike McAllister, Feb 20, 2006
  12. RE: Mobile, LinkButton, Grid 'Select' click events not working on

    Hello Mike,

    The following devices and browsers have been tested with the Microsoft
    Mobile Internet Toolkit and ASP.NET mobile controls.

    http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6

    In MSDN document, there are some descriptions as below:

    IMPORTANT MICROSOFT CORPORATION MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY,
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE TESTING OF THE LISTED DEVICES,
    BROWSERS, AND DEVICE EMULATORS.¡±
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mwsdk/html/
    mwconSupportedDevices.asp

    So I am afraid this device is not fully tested yet. As Yuan has suggested,
    the quickest way is to contact our customer support service to see whis the
    best way to resolve it is. We are sorry that we can't grant a free support
    service here. Since you are a Microsoft partner, I suggest you call local
    partner support to seek for more assistance. They could tell you which
    resource is best for you on the issue. You can also provide the link to
    this post thread when you are contacting local partner support service. Our
    engineer could help provide more information if needed.

    This link provides info on whom you could contact:

    If you feel there is any we can do for you, please feel free to post here.
    Thanks very much for your understanding.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Feb 21, 2006