Mobile Navigation - newbie

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by trinitypete, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm starting to have a look at ASP.NET web pages for
    mobile devices. My first proof of concept project is a
    simple app for a Nokia 3410 (our company mobile phones).

    I'm having a little trouble with navigating between forms
    and pages.

    A link that references another form on the same page
    (#form2) works fine.

    A link that references another aspx page (page1.aspx)
    doesnt work on the phone but does in Nokia's mobile
    browser tool (4.0).

    ActiveForm = form2 doesn't work on the phone but does in
    the browser tool.

    Server.Transfer("Page2.aspx") on the back of a button
    doesn't work on the phone but does in the browser tool.

    When the above actions dont work on the phone, I just get
    the message page not found.

    Any idea's or am I missing the point completely

    Thanks in advance,

    Pete.
    trinitypete, Nov 11, 2003

  2. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    Further to my last post. If I have a default.aspx and in
    the page load event perform a Server.Transfer
    ("page1.aspx") it works fine, but not from within a
    command buttons event handler.

    Pete.

    trinitypete, Nov 11, 2003

  3. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    Further to my last mail - round trips dont seem to work
    on the phone either. They do in the emulator.

    i.e. I had a mobile list, when the user selects an entry
    in the list I display a next form link. As I select an
    item in the list there is a postback and the phone
    displays page not found.

    Pete.

    trinitypete, Nov 11, 2003
  4. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    OK, I managed to get my hands on another wap enabled
    mobile, a Siemens A55, postbacks worked and the
    navigation worked. Guess this could just be something
    specific to the nokia 3410?

    Pete.

    trinitypete, Nov 12, 2003
  5. Hello Pete,
    Thanks for your post. It could be specific to the particular device that you are using to test.

    Here is a list of the currently tested devices for Mobile Web Forms.

    http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6

    Regards,

    Sachin Goregaoker
    Microsoft Developer Support

    and confers no rights.
    --------------------

    Sachin Goregaoker, Nov 12, 2003
  6. trinitypete

    Guest Guest

    OK I now have a Tested Device - namely a Motorola V50
    (bought specifically as it is on the tested list). It is
    definately behaving better but I am still having problems.

    1. I have a 1 page with several forms.
    2. First form user selects a location code from a list
    and proceeds to the second form.

    private void LstLocation_ItemCommand(object sender,
    System.Web.UI.MobileControls.ListCommandEventArgs e)
    {
    if (e.ListItem != null)
    {
    Session["LocationCode"] = e.ListItem.Text;
    ActiveForm = frmProduct;

    THIS WORKS OK.

    3. On the second form I have a textbox which in the text
    changed event I populate a list etc. However when I hit
    the OK button on the phone, it just navigates back to the
    first form and the list is unpopulated. This works OK in
    the emulator and also hitting the web site with IE6. Any
    ideas?

    private void txtProduct_TextChanged(object sender,
    System.EventArgs e)
    {
    RetrieveProducts();
    lstProducts.DataSource = ProductSQLDataReader;
    lstProducts.DataTextField = "ITEMNMBR";
    lstProducts.DataValueField = "QTY";
    lstProducts.DataBind();
    }

    Thanks, Pete.

    Guest, Nov 13, 2003
  7. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    Further update.

    As I mentioned in my other mail (anonymous - sorry about
    that), the textbox doesn't seem to be executing its event
    in the code behind, so I decided to add a command button
    (with a softkey label of find) immediately after the
    textbox with a list below that. A little like this:

    TEXTBOX ( I tried using both break after the text box and
    the reverse.)
    COMMAND
    LIST

    I then transferred the on text change code to the command
    button to populate the list.

    The idea being Populate the textbox, hit OK to end the
    textbox input,hit the command buuton to perform the
    search based on the text box and populate the list.

    In each case when the text box is displayed it is the
    only item on the window, the softkey displays 'find' ?
    dont understand why? but the find button is not
    displayed. If you then populat the text box hit the find
    softkey, a postback is made but doesn't seem to do
    anything but the softkey now changes to OK. Hit the
    softkey again and the screen shows <FIND> which I presume
    is the command button and the Find event has fired as the
    list is now populated.

    At this point the screen looks a little like this

    <FIND>
    ListItem1
    ListItem2
    ListItem3

    If you move to any of the list elements both the softkeys
    show 'OK' hit any of the softkeys and the item is
    selected and processing continues - Lists work fine

    However if you scroll up to <Find> the 2 softkeys show GO
    & FIND, hit the find softkey and the previous view of the
    textbox is displayed in the state where the softkey shows
    OK. Hit the GO softkey and it is as if the first item in
    the list is selected and the software continues. Remeber
    all these controls are on the same form. Its almost as if
    the phone isn't quite sure where the Find button is
    located, on the same view as the text box or on the view
    with the list.

    Why in the previous step the softkey displayed FIND as it
    displayed the text box I am unsure and the whole sequence
    of events seem a little odd. Sorry to be so verbose but
    this is really driving me nuts. Am I approaching this
    whole thing wrong, as this is a tested device and the
    browser version is 4.1.23 which is in advance of the
    tested one 4.1.16.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Pete.

    trinitypete, Nov 13, 2003
  8. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    Further update.

    As I mentioned in my other mail (anonymous - sorry about
    that), the textbox doesn't seem to be executing its event
    in the code behind, so I decided to add a command button
    (with a softkey label of find) immediately after the
    textbox with a list below that.

    BTW: You can look at the site at the following URL
    http://ssltesting.trinitycomputers.co.uk/mobile.

    For the product textbox just input '1' and in the
    Customer textbox enter 'A'. If you have problems
    accessing the site, I am probably trying an update to try
    something else.

    The window is a little like this:

    trinitypete, Nov 14, 2003
  9. trinitypete

    trinitypete Guest

    GOT IT.........

    Looks like I was trying to do too much on one screen. The
    coment I made in the last post 'Its almost as if the
    phone isn't quite sure where the Find button is located'
    seems quite true.

    Originally I had

    TEXTBOX
    COMMAND
    LIST

    all on one form, as soon as I moved the list into a form
    of its own, the command button works a treat, it isn't
    displayed anywhere except as the softkey. (Previously it
    was showing as a softkey on one page and <FIND> on the
    subsequent page. I'm still finding that textboxes either
    dont instantiate a proper postback or the contents are
    not accesible on the postback hence why I still have to
    resort to a command button. By Design?

    Does anyone happen to know where I can find a good
    Motorola emulator as this project is costing loads in
    mobile pay as you go airtime. I have checked the ones
    detailed on the ASP.NET site but they seem more like
    advanced PDA type emulators not just for basic phones.

    Thanks Pete.

    trinitypete, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Hello,
    Glad you got it working. Unlike in ASP.NET Webform TextBox controls, we can't directly use AutoPostBack features in mobile TextBoxes to cause a postback to the
    server when you change text in the textBox. This is because some devices/browsers do not support javascript which the webform autopostback
    makes use of. Thus in order to cause a postback to the server so that your code executes, you will need to explicitly user the command button the way that you are
    currently using.

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Sachin Goregaoker

    Microsoft Developer Support

    and confers no rights.
    --------------------

    | GOT IT.........
    |
    | Looks like I was trying to do too much on one screen. The
    | coment I made in the last post 'Its almost as if the
    | phone isn't quite sure where the Find button is located'
    | seems quite true.
    |
    | Originally I had
    |
    | TEXTBOX
    | COMMAND
    | LIST
    |
    | all on one form, as soon as I moved the list into a form
    | of its own, the command button works a treat, it isn't
    | displayed anywhere except as the softkey. (Previously it
    | was showing as a softkey on one page and <FIND> on the
    | subsequent page. I'm still finding that textboxes either
    | dont instantiate a proper postback or the contents are
    | not accesible on the postback hence why I still have to
    | resort to a command button. By Design?
    |
    | Does anyone happen to know where I can find a good
    | Motorola emulator as this project is costing loads in
    | mobile pay as you go airtime. I have checked the ones
    | detailed on the ASP.NET site but they seem more like
    | advanced PDA type emulators not just for basic phones.
    |
    | Thanks Pete.

    | >>>|
    | something
    | >>>|