    right direction, then I'd really appreciate it.

    TIA,
    Chris

    Chris Lim, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Chris Lim wrote:

    > I have a situation where I'd like mobile users, who have nothing but
    > their mobile phone with them, to be able to interface with a database
    > application that is located on a central server.
    >
    > Basically the app would consist of a very simple form to capture some
    > data from the user, the data would be transferred to the database
    > application by calling a .NET web service.
    >
    > Being a database programmer I have no idea on the best approach to
    > achieve this. At this stage I'm guessing Java ME is the best language
    > to use. I'm about to start doing some research, but I thought if
    > someone here has some experience with this, or can point me in the
    > right direction, then I'd really appreciate it.

    This sort of usage pattern is exactly what Hecl is designed for. It's
    not going to give you the flashiest UI out there, but it covers the
    basic elements, and it has an http extension that you can use to
    comunicate with a web server somewhere. Since it's a simple scripting
    language, it's pretty easy to get started with (you can even write apps
    via a web page at http://builder.hecl.org). In any case, the url is
    to answer any questions. It's open source, too, btw, so you're free to
    use it, even to make commercial applications.

    --
    David N. Welton
    - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

    Linux, Open Source Consulting