Mobile phones, J2ME and Java Enabled Phone

redamokrane

Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
query.

1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.
2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?

Any help is appreciated.

-Reda Mokrane

DeoXMAN

Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
query.

1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.
2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?

Any help is appreciated.

-Reda Mokrane

Just search for phone, and see if it has java supported. If it has,
then it is for sure j2me. I personally have Nokia 6600, but i used
Siemens SL45 before, and both had java.
about downloading application, it can be different in each phone. For
siemens you just have to execute .jar or .jad file. I am now sure
about Nokia though(i havent used java appication on it), i think there
you have to install.
if you are developing application, development enviroment should
perform necessary operations, so dont worry about installation.

alexandre_paterson

Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
query.

1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.

Look out for Java support. > 95% phones sold worldwide
support J2ME.

2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?

Several ways :

1- bluetooth
2- infrared
3- specific transfer cable
4- if your plan allows to transfer data you can upload
your app to a provisionning server then connect to
that server using your cellphone.

Out of these, if you plan to sell that app the only
one that your consumer will ever use is number '4'
and you better test it for it works differently than
the other methods. Apps needs to be signed
differently depending on the carrier, some carrier
require that the app is verified, etc.

It is not uncommon to test using bluetooth while
developing then, once the app is done, to check
if everything is fine with the provisioning server.

Note that it's not to discourage you but developing
J2ME apps is *very* tricky: it doesn't have much
to do with regular Java programming. Portability
problems are horrible: it's one area where Java
isn't anywhere near "Write Once Run Anywhere".

The different J2ME VM implementations are
basically *all* bugged (and all bugged differently).
JVM doesn't have the time to stabilize for by
the time you buy the NokiSungRola V2428T
the NokiSungRola V2428R is out and has
slightly different features and a slightly different
VM, with slightly different bugs.

Note that J2ME apps development is so difficult
that a few companies are making a killing by
either doing "porting" or by selling tools allowing
easier porting.

DeoXMAN

[...]

"Write once, debug everywhere" :D