    Any help is appreciated.

    -Reda Mokrane

    , Apr 29, 2007

  2. DeoXMAN Guest

    Re: Mobile phones, J2ME and Java Enabled Phone

    On Apr 29, 2:38 am, wrote:
    > Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
    > query.
    >
    > 1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.
    > 2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
    > J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > -Reda Mokrane

    Just search for phone, and see if it has java supported. If it has,
    then it is for sure j2me. I personally have Nokia 6600, but i used
    Siemens SL45 before, and both had java.
    about downloading application, it can be different in each phone. For
    siemens you just have to execute .jar or .jad file. I am now sure
    about Nokia though(i havent used java appication on it), i think there
    you have to install.
    if you are developing application, development enviroment should
    perform necessary operations, so dont worry about installation.

    DeoXMAN, Apr 29, 2007

    On Apr 29, 12:38 am, wrote:
    > Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
    > query.
    >
    > 1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.

    Look out for Java support. > 95% phones sold worldwide
    support J2ME.

    > 2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
    > J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?

    Several ways :

    1- bluetooth
    2- infrared
    3- specific transfer cable
    4- if your plan allows to transfer data you can upload
    your app to a provisionning server then connect to
    that server using your cellphone.

    Out of these, if you plan to sell that app the only
    one that your consumer will ever use is number '4'
    and you better test it for it works differently than
    the other methods. Apps needs to be signed
    differently depending on the carrier, some carrier
    require that the app is verified, etc.

    It is not uncommon to test using bluetooth while
    developing then, once the app is done, to check
    if everything is fine with the provisioning server.

    Note that it's not to discourage you but developing
    J2ME apps is *very* tricky: it doesn't have much
    to do with regular Java programming. Portability
    problems are horrible: it's one area where Java
    isn't anywhere near "Write Once Run Anywhere".

    The different J2ME VM implementations are
    basically *all* bugged (and all bugged differently).
    JVM doesn't have the time to stabilize for by
    the time you buy the NokiSungRola V2428T
    the NokiSungRola V2428R is out and has
    slightly different features and a slightly different
    VM, with slightly different bugs.

    Note that J2ME apps development is so difficult
    that a few companies are making a killing by
    either doing "porting" or by selling tools allowing
    easier porting.

    , Apr 30, 2007
  4. DeoXMAN Guest

    On Apr 30, 9:12 pm, wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 12:38 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Regarding Mobile Phone and j2me or Java enabled phone I have two
    > > query.

    > > 1)I need help on finding a mobile phone that support j2me.

    > Look out for Java support. > 95% phones sold worldwide
    > support J2ME.
    >
    > > 2)How can I download a J2ME application to a mobile phone that support
    > > J2ME or Is a Java Enabled?

    > Several ways :
    >
    > 1- bluetooth
    > 2- infrared
    > 3- specific transfer cable
    > 4- if your plan allows to transfer data you can upload
    > your app to a provisionning server then connect to
    > that server using your cellphone.
    >
    > Out of these, if you plan to sell that app the only
    > one that your consumer will ever use is number '4'
    > and you better test it for it works differently than
    > the other methods. Apps needs to be signed
    > differently depending on the carrier, some carrier
    > require that the app is verified, etc.
    >
    > It is not uncommon to test using bluetooth while
    > developing then, once the app is done, to check
    > if everything is fine with the provisioning server.
    >
    > Note that it's not to discourage you but developing
    > J2ME apps is *very* tricky: it doesn't have much
    > to do with regular Java programming. Portability
    > problems are horrible: it's one area where Java
    > isn't anywhere near "Write Once Run Anywhere".
    >
    > The different J2ME VM implementations are
    > basically *all* bugged (and all bugged differently).
    > JVM doesn't have the time to stabilize for by
    > the time you buy the NokiSungRola V2428T
    > the NokiSungRola V2428R is out and has
    > slightly different features and a slightly different
    > VM, with slightly different bugs.
    >
    > Note that J2ME apps development is so difficult
    > that a few companies are making a killing by
    > either doing "porting" or by selling tools allowing
    > easier porting.

    "Write once, debug everywhere" :D

    DeoXMAN, May 1, 2007