    On another note. What is best practice for section, article, header...?

    http://www.anthonycalzadilla.com/20...footer-elements-not-as-obvious-as-they-sound/

    Jeff

    j, Aug 30, 2013

  2. j

    Robert Baer Guest

    j wrote:
    > It appears to me that mobile html design falls into two groups. Basic,
    > minimalistic with large links and most items set as a percent, if not 100%.
    >
    > Then we have the iPhone and related where screen density can be much
    > greater. What looks good on an iPhone sucks on a cheap Android.
    >
    > What do we have in the way of simulators and also in design tips?
    >
    > On another note. What is best practice for section, article, header...?
    >
    > http://www.anthonycalzadilla.com/20...footer-elements-not-as-obvious-as-they-sound/
    >

    > Jeff

    I know little about HTML and less about JS and CSS.
    But i have been doing a lot of fiddling around with code in hopes of
    getting a page that works on a PC and on a webphone.
    The lowest crummiest one is the TracFone Samsung T105G.
    First, the size of the present page must be smaller than some
    undisclosed, unknown and unknowable size; apparently number of bytes as
    the complaint is "out of memory".
    Then there is a similar undisclosed, unknown and unknowable image (or
    equivalent) size.

    The only solution i see is a pre-processor that would "hold off"
    excess incoming data so that the memory does not get choked.
    That probably means the excess gets lost and some kind of kind
    message / "alert" is put in a non-intrusive place.

    Next is the sizing problem which your text alludes to.

    I am extremely interested in an "automatic" re-sizer.
    Somehow it would need to first determine what is available and what
    resources are available.
    Seems the phone makers and especially the sellers want to keep such
    info top secret burn your backside if you disclose type attitude (that
    is what i am getting).

    Robert Baer, Aug 31, 2013

  3. Robert Baer <> wrote

    > j wrote:
    >> It appears to me that mobile html design falls into two groups.
    >> Basic, minimalistic with large links and most items set as a percent,
    >> if not 100%.
    >>
    >> Then we have the iPhone and related where screen density can be much
    >> greater. What looks good on an iPhone sucks on a cheap Android.
    >>
    >> What do we have in the way of simulators and also in design tips?
    >>
    >> On another note. What is best practice for section, article,
    >> header...?
    >>
    >> http://www.anthonycalzadilla.com/2010/08/html5-section-aside-header-na
    >> v-footer-elements-not-as-obvious-as-they-sound/
    >>

    >> Jeff

    > I know little about HTML and less about JS and CSS.
    > But i have been doing a lot of fiddling around with code in hopes
    > of
    > getting a page that works on a PC and on a webphone.
    > The lowest crummiest one is the TracFone Samsung T105G.
    > First, the size of the present page must be smaller than some
    > undisclosed, unknown and unknowable size; apparently number of bytes
    > as the complaint is "out of memory".
    > Then there is a similar undisclosed, unknown and unknowable image
    > (or
    > equivalent) size.
    >
    > The only solution i see is a pre-processor that would "hold off"
    > excess incoming data so that the memory does not get choked.
    > That probably means the excess gets lost and some kind of kind
    > message / "alert" is put in a non-intrusive place.
    >
    > Next is the sizing problem which your text alludes to.
    >
    > I am extremely interested in an "automatic" re-sizer.
    > Somehow it would need to first determine what is available and what
    > resources are available.
    > Seems the phone makers and especially the sellers want to keep such
    > info top secret burn your backside if you disclose type attitude (that
    > is what i am getting).

    You can use different stylesheets for different devices, as modern
    browsers will look at the media attribute, and the max-width property in
    the link element.

    The other option is to do something server side, so if the UA string is
    sending something having to do with mobile, serve a mobile stylesheet.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services - http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info/

    Adrienne Boswell, Sep 12, 2013